K E E P T H E P E A C E

Destiny sat around the small table with a cup of hot chocolate in front of her as she looked from the clock to the door every few minutes. "Can I get you another cup of coco ma'am?" The waiter who previously took her order questioned. "No, thank you. Everything's good." She slipped him a faint smile. The guy nodded then dipped off.

A shaky exhale escaped her mouth when she finally saw the person she awaited walk into the coffee shop. They locked eyes briefly before coming face to face. Destiny cleared her throat as she fixed her posture in the chair. "Thanks for meeting me."

Taylor removed the pea coat from her body, claiming the free seat across from Destiny. "Thank you for calling?" She chuckled, finding the moment slightly awkward. The two got off on the wrong foot and never really spoke after that. Destiny didn't want there to be any ill feelings; especially not when she loved Skylar like her own.

"So, what's this about? Did something happen with Skylar?" Taylor asked. She'd been sober for almost a year now and worked so hard to get her life straightened out. "Oh, no. Skylar's fine." Destiny assured. "I wanted us to have a sit down like two grown woman. Our first encounter was tense, ya know? I think we've both done some growing since and we should talk." She explained to Taylor.

"I can respect that." Taylor smiled. "The Taylor you met in New York isn't the Taylor I am today. I just wanted you to know that." She added. Destiny took a minute to observe Taylor; study her body language. She never did think addicts could change— she was so used to repeating the same cycle with her own mother that she sort of forgot all recovering addicts aren't necessarily the same.

"I'm glad you got the help you needed and that you actually took it. Skylar needs her mother." Destiny said. To be honest, she didn't think she would be here right now; sitting across from Taylor having an adult conversation. Kross was cautious of how the two's sit down would play out, but he absolutely loved that Destiny wanted to do this, on her own.

"Kross was my savior in a time of need." Taylor admitted after a long beat. Instead of ignoring her problems, he supplied Taylor with the proper tools to get her sober and deal with her bipolar disorder; which has gotten a lot better.

"That's Kross for you." Destiny's cheeks flushed at the thought of him. She honestly couldn't thank God enough for placing him into her life. The timing might have not been convenient, but he served a massive purpose. "Congratulations by the way. This is probably the happiest I've ever seen him." Taylor expressed, sincerely happy for the couples engagement.

"Appreciate it." Destiny voiced, taking a sip from her tea cup. "Any who, I asked you to meet with me today because I just wanted to clear the air. I truly love your daughter." She stopped, a smile could be seen creeping onto her face, "I never knew how much I could love someone else's child until I got to know Skylar. I would never try to replace you from her life or fill your position, she has one mom at the end of it all and that's you, Taylor."

"Why are you doing this?" Taylor interrupted. "I should be the one thanking you for embracing and loving Sky as if she were your own. Not a lot of women are capable of accepting a man with a child, let alone one who just got slammed into the equation one day." She said, expressing some of the things she's had time to think about.

Destiny was taken back a bit. However, growth could both be heard and seen in Taylor's voice and actions. "Truthfully, no need to explain anything. I'm putting the past behind me and focusing on the now. You and Kross took on the responsibility of being there for her when I couldn't, how can I ever expect either of you to praise me? I take my hat off to you both."