R E L E A S E

The rain kept Destiny up nearly half the night. She watched Kross sleep peacefully while listening to Kaleb's light snores through the baby monitor. Last night, the unexpected happened— her mama called; informing that her father had been admitted to hospital and it wasn't looking good for him.

Trina begged her to come to the hospital and see her father; she feared he would be taking his last breaths soon. However, Destiny wasn't comfortable with the thought of going up there; pretending as if they were this one big happy family that prayed together.

Allowing her clouded mind to keep her awake; she slipped out of bed quietly, not wanting to wake Kross. She left their bedroom, going down the hall to check on Skylar, who was sleeping peacefully wrapped in her Cinderella blanket. She proceeded to Kaleb's nursery; doing the same routine.

Seeing that both kids were still fast asleep, she tip-toed down the hall into a free bedroom. Deedra was out with one of her friends and wouldn't be back until morning. When Destiny settled into the office-like room, she took a seat behind the white marble desk. She had set this room up for any business that had to be taken care of.

Pulling out 2 sheets of paper along with a pen, she listened to the sound of the rain splattering on the roof. She lit the teakwood scented candle that sat on the desk; thinking about how to go about what she was about to do. She had still been seeing Doctor Stephanie twice a week and felt her sessions were starting to improve as time went on.

Exhaling, she put the black ink pen to the white sheet of paper; addressing it to whom was supposed to read it.

Dear Mama,
I'm writing this letter because it's time I let go completely and move on with my life. I remember when things for our family were okay, good even. You were a good mom, but then dad got locked up and you changed— everything changed. It was like in a snap of a finger; I had to grow up and adapt to the responsibilities of taking care of 3 younger siblings as well as you when you were too high to function.

She bit the inside of her cheek, taking a moment to calm her nerves. If she wanted to live a life without hurt and resentment; she had to let go of all the baggage she continued to hold onto.

Before dad got arrested, him and I would always go away to grandpa Ed's cabin, remember that? I was a daddies girl so I was always eager to go anywhere with him; even if it was just outside to help him wash his truck. But soon, he wasn't acting as a father; but a man who preyed and took advantage of his own child. We weren't fishing on those trips up to the cabin mama. In fact, I can still feel the sweat from his forehead dripping onto my chest as I laid there, helpless.

Tears filled Destiny's eyes as she relived the moments her father took her innocence in a letter. She decided she wasn't going to let her emotions get the best of her— it needed to be done.

I believe I was only 10-going on 11 the first time it happened. Of course I was scared to open up about it because I didn't want it to break our family apart. But, he started finding his own daughter more amusing than his wife. He would come into my room at night when you would go to work. I grew so accustomed to it happening; that I would automatically turn on my side whenever I heard my room door open. I was only a kid, mama.

Then he got arrested and I thought— now is the perfect time to tell you what happened. I was 13 the very first time I attempted to approach you about it. I tried so hard to tell you everyday after his sentencing, but the drugs were the only thing you listened to. Eventually, I stopped trying to tell you because it was pointless; you never heard me out. You always shut me down.