S O M E W H E R E B E T W E E N

Weeks later:

After giving Dr. Richard and his team the proper permission to put Destiny in a medically induced coma, everything around seemed to be moving at a slow pace. For Kross, he had once again put his work on hold. He needed to be there for his children full time while still being strong for his fiancé, who hadn't made much progress since being put in a coma— almost 3 weeks ago.

Nonetheless, he was patient. He kept positive thoughts all-around and even found himself praying at night. The not knowing silently tormented him but he held on to bit of encouragement and faith others around him gave. "Hey. I just got Sky to go down for a nap." Taylor spoke.

Kross turned around, leaning his back on the counter. As court orders states; Taylor is granted weekly supervised visits with Skylar. After her release from rehab, she decided to stay in Atlanta to be closer to their daughter. She got herself a job as a waitress at a diner. It wasn't ideal but it helped keep her lights and water on, she was thankful.

"Have you slept?" Taylor questioned, taking notice to the dark circles under Kross's eyes. He sighed, "Are you gonna get going or wait until she wakes up from her nap?" He asked, ignoring the question at hand. He didn't need to confine in anyone, especially not Taylor. "I'm gonna go. I'll call to say goodnight before I get off work tonight." She assured, grabbing her purse off the island. Kross nodded, feeling no need to respond to her statement.

The two had a routine; Taylor would come to the house on Tuesday's and Thursday's to see and spend time with Skylar as part of the weekly visits. Kross wasn't comfortable with having Skylar over at Taylor's place just yet and he needed to be present for the visits anyhow. So, this is was the next best option that worked. He loved seeing the look on their daughters face when she got to spend time with her mother— however, Kross hated having to explain to Skylar why Taylor always had to leave.

He often felt as if he were disappointing his daughter by not being able to give her a live at home mommy, but her safety and well being was much more important. Though Taylor was showing a lot of progress in her behavior and actions; he didn't want to allow room for a major step back. This— the weekly visits and phone calls before bed would just have to continue playing out until otherwise.

It was going on 5 o'clock in the afternoon when Deedra walked through the door, removing her rain boots by the welcome mat. "Hey Kross." She greeted, heading straight into the kitchen to wash her hands. "Hey, Dee. How was work?" He asked. Over the course of weeks he and Deedra became the closets. Kross found himself constantly checking on her mental state and progress with the new job she started— though, he wasn't in such a stable state himself.

"I finally had a talk with my supervisor. I told her about how I've been feeling, so hopefully she lets our conversation marinate." Deedra told him, shrugging her shoulders while she searched the fridge for some fruits. "That's good. You should always voice how you feel, regardless of who you're working for." He told her. She shook her head, agreeing.

Before leaving the kitchen, she stopped in her tracks. "Thanks, for being here for Lani, Darnell and me." She smiled at him for a mere second. "That's what I'm here for." Kross assured. He knew that Destiny was the dependent when it came to her younger siblings. He wanted to be there for them in every way possible due to everything going on.

Kross then proceeded to tell Deedra he would soon be leaving and that both Kaleb and Skylar were in their bedrooms, napping. She nodded, already knowing he was headed up to the hospital. It became a normal routine for him actually. Every afternoon he would stop at the flower shop, purchase a dozen peony flowers and then make it to the hospital right on time for visiting hours.

"Good to see you, Mr. Jackson." One of the evening nurses welcomed him as he walked into the hospital building. "Hey, Nurse Morales." He waved briefly, signing in at the front desk. Many of the staff here became familiar with Kross; who he is and why he was at the hospital almost daily. They admired the man he is and his likable personality.

When he made it up to the 8th floor, it was almost as if he could hear his heart beating so loudly in his ears. To be completely honest, he hated seeing Destiny hooked up to different machines, not to mention the clear tube that went down her throat. Still, he didn't let any of that stop him from sitting by her bedside, simply enjoying the silence while holding her hand sometimes.

The monitors in the room loudly beeped as Kross set the bouquet of flowers on the stand beside her bed. He leaned in, giving her forehead a wet kiss before claiming his seat beside the bed in the single chair. A sigh escaped his mouth as he looked down at her. Her skin looked pail; nothing like her radiant dark skin tone. He placed her hand in the palm of his before giving it a light kiss. "I feel so lost without hearing your voice." He mumbled.

For the first time in his life, Kross found himself at a standstill. He didn't know what to do or what steps to take. It was like a setback— though the doctors promised him to treat Destiny with the best care, there just wasn't any certainty. "The kids miss you. Skylar is always asking when will you two be able to play dress up again." He chuckled. "And Kaleb just wants to see you. He's too young to understand the circumstances, but you can tell your absence is effecting him." He admitted.

"I'm trying my hardest, baby, I really am." Another sigh escaped his mouth. "But I need you to try your hardest too. I need you to fight this, come back to your family ten times stronger because we all need you." He voiced, resting his head in her lap for some type of comfort.

Kross had no clue when the day would come, but he had faith it would be soon— any time now, she would wake up and things would be back to how they were before the car accident. However, life always has a funny way of playing out.

- - -

Don't drag me, writers block was kicking my a$$ for the longest. Hope you guys enjoyed this simple chapter 💘