B R E A T H E

Taylor:

"Come on, eat your cereal so I can get you to school on time." Taylor said, putting the half carton of milk back into the refrigerator. "I want eggs, mommy." Skylar pouted. Taylor sighed, silently cursing. "Sky, baby, mommy forgot to pick up eggs yesterday. Just be a good girl and eat your fruity pebbles." She stooped down beside her daughter, who sat around the table. "I don't want it." Skylar shook her head.

"You have to eat. This is the only thing here, Sky." Her mother tried to reason. For a three-year old, Skylar is very well spoken. She sometimes shocked her mom with her fluent sentences. Picking up the silver spoon, Skylar scooped up a spoonful of cereal, popping it into her mouth. "That's my girl." Taylor smiled, kissing the top of her head.

Thirty-minutes later, Taylor had Skylar in the bathroom, greasing her face with a heavy amount of coco butter. There was still an extra twenty-minutes to kill, so Taylor decided to swab her daughters mouth. She reached into the cabinet, pulling out the DNA kit. "What's that mommy?" Skylar questioned. "Uh, it's a really cool stick that helps clean the inside of your mouth." Taylor summed it up the best way possible.

She pulled the long cotton swab stick from the wrapper, asking Skylar to open her mouth as if she were brushing her teeth. Skylar did as instructed, allowing her mother to easily swab her jaw. "Ok. Good girl." Taylor spoke, carefully placing the stick inside of the clear ziplock bag. "I'm ready, mommy." Skylar voiced, growing impatient.

Taylor helped her down from the sink, grabbing Skylar's backpack and the keys to her old Altima. After dropping her daughter to school, she drove to the nearest Dropbox, dropping the DNA kit inside. She got back into her car, driving off. When she arrived at her destination, she turned the car off. Looking into the rear view mirror, she applied more lipstick to her pouty lips.

She fixed her curly hair, removing her body from the car. She adjusted the gold strap bag on her shoulder, adding an extra swish in her walk. "Hey, Leon." She smiled, walking over to the tall and fine white chocolate dude. "Hey, Tay." He licked his lips, watching her get closer with each step. "You busy?" She asked, biting down on her bottom lip.

"I got time for you, baby girl." He brushed her chin with his thumb and index finger. She smirked, taking a step back. "Lead the way." She told him. He grinned, making his way up the stairs of the pissy smelling project building. Leon turned his key in the lock after making it up 5 flights of stairs.

Taylor already removed her thigh high boots on the way up because she already knew the drill. "Grams, my friend, Taylor is here." Leon spoke to his grandma, who sat on the plastic wrapped sofa watching the news. "Boy, I thought I told you to stop bringing hoochies into my house." His grandma said.

"Nice see you again, too." Taylor quietly chuckled. She followed Leon to the back, where his bedroom was located. He shut the door behind her, watching her take a seat on his bed. "So, what can I do for you?" He asked. "The usual." She smirked. "Look, Tay, I have no issues supplying you, but you gon have to do more then give me head." Leon stated.

Taylor looked at him, screwing up her face. "I thought we had a deal." She said. "Yeah, but that was before I got a new plug. This nigga, Chance, he don't play bout his work. I gotta have every dolla' in that duffel when it's time to handoff." Leon informed. "Pleaseeee." Taylor pouted, batting her eyelashes.

She didn't want to suck his dick nor fuck on him. She simply wanted to get high and avoid her dark thoughts. "I'm sorry, Tay. I can't." Leon shrugged, feeling a little bad. She pulled a $100 bill from her bag, holding it between her fingers, "Will this do?" She asked, staring into his eyes. "For you, I'll make it work." He smiled, opening his closet.

He retrieved his stash of product, tossing a bag of white substance to Taylor. She smiled, standing to her feet. "Wait. I thought, you know..." he paused, running his hand through the waves in his head. "Thought what, I was gonna suck your white ass dick? Not today, being I had to pay for my own shit." She scoffed, pushing him aside.

With that, she left Leon feeling stupid. Rushing out the apartment and over to her car, Taylor drove off in a hurry. This was just another day for her. Another day which involved being high to ease her pain.

     - - -

The next day:

"How's my sweet grandgirl?" Elaine, Taylor's mother, asked Skylar. "Good, nonna." Skylar cheesed, giving her grandmother a warm hug. Soon, she dashed into the living room, where her dolls and story books were already awaiting. Elaine smiled at the sight of her grand-daughter. It's been about a month since she's last seen Skylar, due to her daughter hardly answering the phone.

"I have some mail for you." Elaine turned to face her daughter, who stood in the doorway. Taylor nodded, entering the house. She followed behind her mother into the kitchen. "This is everything." Elaine handed her the stack of letters wrapped with a white ribbon. Taylor went through her mail one-by-one, hoping to come across something worth opening.

"Is this everything?" Taylor questioned, the least bit of pleased. "That's everything." Her mother assured. Elaine could always sense her daughters mood swings. Today was one of those days. "Alright. Well, everything she needs is in her backpack. I'll be back on Sunday." Taylor spoke dryly. "Yes. Yes, I know." Elaine nodded, eyeing Taylor closely.

"Are you doing well, sweetheart?" She asked. "Couldn't be better." Taylor said, not bothering to even slip her mother a fake smile. "And are you taking your meds?" Elaine asked, wanting to make sure her daughter is taking care of herself. "Why do you always do this?" Taylor grew irritated.

"Sweetheart, I'm only trying to make sure you are doing well." Her mother simply said. "I'm fine. Everything is fine, mom." Taylor rolled her eyes. "To me, it looks like you're loosing weight. Are you eating, Taylor? Be honest, I'm your mother." Elaine stopped her from leaving. "Look, it took a lot just to get out of bed today, ok. You down my back is the last headache I need." Taylor grilled her mother.

Elaine knew that look in her daughters eyes. She saw the bags under her eyes and hopelessness printed across her face. This made Elaine sorrowful. "At least tell me you're taking your meds." She spoke, hoping Taylor's response wouldn't be one that put her at worry. "I am." Taylor lied, knowing this would get her mother off her tail just a little bit.

That's good." Elaine exhaled, "I know being bipolar isn't easy for you, Taylor. I'm here for you. You can always talk to me. I love you, sweetheart." She voiced. "No, mom, you don't know a damn thing!" Taylor spat. "You don't know what it is like to wake up one day feeling invisible, and waking up the next not even wanting to wake up." Taylor said.

"Oh, baby." Elaine held her chest, walking closer to her daughter, but instead Taylor backed away. "I'm fine, mom. I'll see you on Sunday." She told her mother, turning around and leaving the house. Elaine felt of no help to her daughter. The day Taylor was diagnosed with bipolar disorder is the day she lost herself.

     - - -

- How do you guys feel about Taylor now, after finding out a little bit more about her?

Thoughts on this chapter?

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰