F U T U R E

Waking up on the morning of my baby shower I had jitters. I looked over to see Kross missing from his side of the bed. I got out of bed after checking some of the notifications on my phone, making my way downstairs. When I made it into the kitchen, I was taken back. Breakfast was laid out in pans, vases filled with red roses sat on the island top, and R&B music played from the Bluetooth speaker.
"Babe! Why did you do all this?" I asked, beaming with joy. He grinned, looking at me as I stood in a pair of boxers and an oversized t-shirt that belonged to him.

"I know today might be a little stressful for you, overwhelming even. I wanted to make sure you start the day off on a good note." Kross said, placing a loving kiss on my lips. "You're the sweetest." I told him. "Only for you." He responded with a chuckle. He lead me over to the table, allowing me to sit before pushing my chair in. He claimed his seat across from me. "This smells amazing!" My mouth watered from the different breakfast foods on the table.

"It should." He laughed, "I had your favorite diner cater it." He informed. "What! How did you do that?" I questioned. I didn't have any knowledge of Waffle House catering food, especially not this early. "I told you, I can make whatever happen." He cheesed. I looked deeply into his eyes, thanking him for this thoughtful gesture. Kross has been nothing less of supportive. He was there every step of the way, even things that I expected him to forget, he always remembered.

We sat at the table eating our delicious breakfast while making small talk. We were both nervous about tonight's festivities. Kross didn't like being the center of attention, and I hated having to speak in front of an audience. But, tonight is in honor of our precious little baby who will soon be here. Approaching my last trimester is sort of bittersweet. I'm going to miss feeling the small kicks inside my belly and hearing that healthy heartbeat beam through the room from the monitor.

However, I can't wait to hold our baby. See who he or she, will look like. I can't wait to experience motherhood hands on. As we finished eating, Kross and I decided to get this long day started. We showered together before getting dressed.
"Where you going first?" He asked, standing at the bottom of the stairs. "My hair appointment." I shouted from the closet, grabbing my jean jacket. I double checked to make sure I had my phone, keys and purse before exiting the room.

I met Kross at the bottom of the stairs and we left the condo, locking the doors behind us.
"Do you need anything else?" He questioned, unlocking his truck with the keys. I smirked, "No, babe. I'm good." I assured him. He nodded, walking me over to my Jeep and opening the door for me. "You sure you wanna drive? I can have Drew come." He said. "Babe. I'm good, really." I rubbed my thumb across his face, touching some of the hairs from his thick beard.

"Okay. I love you, drive safe." He made our lips connect. "I love you, too." My cheeks flushed when the kiss broke. I strapped on my seatbelt while he shut the door for me. I waved bye before pulling out the garage and onto the road. When I made it to the salon, I was just on time for my eleven-thirty appointment. I sat in the chair while, Femi, my hairstylist, got to work on my head. I wanted something different than my usual go-to hairstyles. Femi encouraged me to try a new color.

Being a girl of a darker complexion, I wasn't the most eager to try all these vibrant colors. I sticked to what I thought was more suitable for me— however, I'm learning to step outside of my comfort zone these days. My hair took no longer than an hour, and when Femi finished, I was completely satisfied.
The strawberry shortcake colored hair looked very appealing on me with it's bouncy curls and dark brown roots which looked as if it were coming from my actual scalp. "I love it!"

I paid the remaining balanced for my service before leaving the salon and wobbling back to my Jeep in the parking lot. I exhaled, starting up the Jeep, making my way to my next destination.

                                      - - -

Quan:

Quan checked his surroundings before climbing the gate and hopping over. He had been watching this house in particular for about four weeks now, plus he saw the owners leave about an hour ago. He broke into the home, shutting the door behind him. He quietly tipped-toed through the house, not making a sound. He passed through the living room, approaching a white door. He turned the knob, but it was locked.

He pulled a pin from his back pocket, picking the lock within seconds. He got in without a hassle, looking around the room. A brown desk, a sofa couch and another door was all that was in the room. "Not much for a fucking business man", Quan thought. He reached into his jacket pocket, pulling out a small surveillance camera. His eyes scanned the room in search of the perfect hiding spot.

His eyes then landed on a picture frame on the desk. He picked it up, chuckling. "It's funny how life plays out" he spoke to himself. He placed the black lens inside the picture frame and just as expected, it blended in perfectly. He placed the frame back in it's exact spot. Quan was only here for one thing. It was more than safe to say task completed. He left the house, being sure to check his surrounds as he walked out the gate.

He got back to his truck, driving off down the road. He smirked to himself. He envisioned he was one step closer to getting what he wants.

                                       - - -

After hours of running around, I finally made it home. My nails, feet, and makeup were all done. Kross was currently on his way back to get ready so we could head out at a decent enough time. After my shower, I stepped into my dress, pulling it over my low hanging stomach. Not one stretch mark and I'm truly grateful. "Need help with that?" Kross asked, standing in the frame of the doorway. I looked at him in the mirror with a small smirk. He stood behind me, zipping up my dress.

"You look gorgeous, baby." He kissed the back of my neck softly. I cleared my throat, "Thank you." The dress was beautifully custom made by a local designer. The nude brown, mesh dress hugged my thick curves just as I wanted. The exquisite brown crystals shined in the light. As I waited for Kross to get dressed, I popped a piece of gum into my mouth, scrolling through Instagram.

I thought my nerves would be at an all-time high right now, but surprisingly, I feel unexplainably calm. I don't know if was the essential oils that lady used on my skin earlier but I'm feeling awfully relaxed. Kross walked out the closet, fully dressed in a brown turtle neck with a off-white jacket and some nicely stitched white jeans. "Well, don't you look handsome." I gawked over him. "You think so?" He touched his beard, doing a pose. I laughed, shaking my head.

"You ready?" He questioned standing in front of me.
"Yes." I responded. "Can nothing or no one mess up this night for us." Kross held both my hands in his, looking deeply into my eyes. "I know." His words put me at ease. "I love you, Destiny." He spoke in a gentle voice. "I love you more, Kross Jackson." A smirk appeared on my face.

Nothing or no one can ruin this night.

                                        - - -

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰