N O L i E S D E T E C T E D

Kross:

It's been a few short weeks since having the DNA tests sent into the lab. Today, my lawyer called me, asking me to come by his office. I'm almost 100% sure it's because the results are in. Driving down the interstate, I looked over, getting a glimpse of Destiny. She typed away on her phone screen.

Deedra offered to watch Kaleb for us while we handled whatever needed to be handled. "You mad at me?" I randomly questioned. She paused, looking up from her phone, "Why would I be mad at you?" She asked. "Ion know. But you ain't really been saying much to me these days." I said.

She shrugged her shoulders, "What do you want me to say, that I'm not happy about this whole situation? Okay, Kross, I'm not happy about this situation. These test results might change everything, ok. Kaleb might have a half sister." She voiced. I ran my hand through my beard, sighing.

"I know this isn't easy for you, babe. And I'm thankful that you're here, by my side. But, you gotta understand, I had no control over this shit." I told her. "Mm." She shook her head. Deciding not to say anything further, I continued the drive across town. I have a lot on my plate, I honestly don't feel like adding Destiny's attitude to the list of shit I have to deal with. Not today, at least.

An hour later, I pulled into the parking lot, turning off the engine in my truck. We both got out, walking towards the door. I held it open, allowing her to walk ahead of me. "Mr. Jackson." Stacey, the front desk receptionist greeted, being familiar with me. "Stacey. This is my girlfriend, Destiny." I introduced. "Hello." Destiny smiled politely.

"Mr. Walker is already waiting for you." Stacey informed. I thanked her, making my way to the elevator with Destiny bedside me. Once inside the elevator, I pressed the 8 button. "Look, baby. Whatever happens today, know it doesn't change the dynamic of what we built. I love you, ain't a soul on this earth can change that." I expressed.

She turned to face me, "Kross, I know you love me, and I love you, too. But I cannot shake this feeling I have in my gut. I'm not mad, and I don't wanna argue. I want to be able to support you instead of adding to your stress. However, this has "bad" written all over it." She said. The elevator doors opened, revealing the 8th floor of the office building.

Stepping out, I intertwined my hand in hers, walking down the hall. I can't predict what's about to happen, but I'll be damned if it's costs me my relationship or family. Sending knocks to the room door, I took a deep breath. "Kross!" My lawyer swung the door open, greeting me. "Russ!" I shook his hand, "This is my girlfriend, Destiny." I introduced the two.

Russ shook her hand before allowing us inside his office. "You two can take a seat right here." Russ instructed. We took a seat across from his desk, watching him pull out a folder. "So, I asked you to come by because, I do have the DNA test result." Russ stated, placing his blue framed glass on his face.

I looked over at Destiny, seeing a anxious look on her face. "I'm ready." I told Russ, signaling him to read the results aloud. He cleared his throat, pulling out a white envelope. He tore it open, beginning to read what was printed on the sheet of paper.

"The alleged father, Kross E. Jackson, cannot be excluded as the biological father of Skylar' Mariee Anderson. Based on genetic testing results, the probability of paternity is 99.99%." Russ read. My heart sunk as I automatically turned to look over at Destiny. On the outside she looked fine, but on the inside is a different story.

Fixing my posture in the chair, I sat up straight. "Uh, um, does Taylor, her mother, know about the results yet?" I asked. "No, not as yet. A letter was sent out, she should receive it later on this week." Russ informed. "O-Ok." I nodded, appalled. "Do you have any questions?" Russ asked. "Actually, I have a question." Destiny interjected. Russ looked at me, I gave him a nod. "Go ahead." He told her.

"Are those results accurate?" She questioned. Russ handed her the paper, allowing her to read it for herself. Clearing my throat, I asked, "How would I go about seeing her?" Destiny quickly looked up from the paper in her hands, over at me. "Well, we can file a motion for visitation." Russ stated. "Let's do it." I gave him the right away to file the motion.

After talking about a few more things, Destiny and I, were leaving the office building. We walked over to my truck, getting in. The drive back home was silent. No words were exchanged between us, making the ride terribly awkward. An hour and thirty-minutes later, we arrived at home. "You not even going to take time to process this, you just gonna jump and meet her?" Destiny questioned, removing her seatbelt.

"Process?" I looked at her, screwing up my face. "What's there to process, Destiny? I have a daughter. I already missed 3 years of her life. I'm not missing another fucking minute." I told her, truthfully. "You do that then, Kross." She mugged me, getting out the truck and slamming the door. Instead of following behind her into the house, I started up my truck again, leaving.

A nigga just need to clear his head.

                                              - - -

Thoughts on this chapter?

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰