H O P I N G F O R T H E B E S T

One month later:

Kross, Destiny and baby Kaleb, landed in New York a little after 6pm. They are spending thanksgiving with his family this year and Destiny is excited to meet Kross's other family members. The town car picked them up, driving them to his parents house. They arrived about forty-five-minutes later. Giselle swung the front door open, happy to see their faces.

"Hi. It's good to see you all." She smiled. "Hey, ma." Kross embraced his mother in a hug. She kissed his cheek, patting his back. "Hey, mama G." Destiny spoke. The two shared a small hug before entering the house. After getting settled into one of the guest rooms, Destiny changed, fed and burped Kaleb. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep.

She placed him down in the grey crib, pulling the blue blanket half way over his body. Placing a gentle kiss on his forehead, she backed out of the room. When she walked into the living room, Kross and his parents were having a drink. "So, Destiny, how are you loving the new house?" Giselle questioned. "Oh, I'm in love." She cheesed uncontrollably.

"Yeah, we're pretty much half way done with the move-in process." Kross stated, wrapping his hand around her waist. "I'm real proud of you son." His father, Jamal, voiced. He handed Destiny the glass on wine he poured for her. She gladly took it, thanking him. "Thanks pop." Kross nodded. "KJ, uh, I actually wanted to talk to you." Giselle said.

"Ma, I already told you, we do not need your help decorating the house." He sighed. Giselle chuckled, "No. No, it's not about the house." Kross squinted his eyes, looking over at his mom. "In private, KJ." She said. He kissed the side of Destiny's face before walking into the kitchen behind his mother.

Placing her glass on the counter top, she paced back and fourth. "You good, ma?" He asked, peeping how uneasy she looked. "No, baby. I'm not good." She shook her head. "What's up?" He questioned, growing concerned. "I messed up." She exhaled, her eyes slowly filling with tears. "Messed up what?" Kross scrunched his face in confusion.

Giselle didn't know the right way to break the news to her son, but she knew she had to do it before the rest of the family arrive for thanksgiving dinner. "I, uh, I love you so much, KJ." She said. "I want you to understand that everything I've done was only for your best interest. I don't ever want to see you unhappy or hurt." Giselle's voice slightly cracked.

"Ma, you making me nervous." He said. Giselle chuckled, wiping the tears from the corner of her eyes. She cleared her throat, "Do you, uh, remember Taylor?" She asked. "Taylor, as in my ex Taylor?" He looked at his mother weird. She shook her head yes. "I remember her. Why you bringing her up?" He questioned. "Because she came here the other day." Giselle informed. Kross sucked his teeth, "You got to be shittin' me." He uttered.

"She said she wanted to speak to you, KJ. I told her you didn't live here. I let her know you're very much taken and a father." She told her son. "Um, ok. What was she here for?" He asked. Instead of beating around the bush, she decided to be fully transparent. "KJ, sweetie, Taylor says your the father of her 3 year old daughter." Giselle confessed. Kross busted out in laughter. "You joking right?" He looked at his mom.

"Ma, you can't possibly believe I'm that child's father. She left me, remember? Took all her things and disappeared. Now her ass showing up here talking crazy. Come on, ma." Kross sucked his teeth, fanning off the idea. "No, uh, there's a strong chance you might actually be the father." Giselle spoke lowly, shocking her son with her words. "You believe her? You never even liked her." He said, a tad bit upset his mother was feeding into Taylor's bullshit.

"Kross, I paid Taylor out your life." Giselle let out. "You did what?" He looked at her like a mad woman. "She wasn't good for you, baby. She was sucking you dry, snorting drugs and cheating on you." She reminded her son. "So, you thought paying her to stay away from me would do me good?" He questioned. "Yes. Yes, I really thought it would." She said, shaking her head in disappointment.

"No! No, it didn't." He raised his voice. "I could possibly have a kid out in the world, who I'm finding out about 3 years later. I know you can't help your controlling ways ma, but you might've just ruined my life." He stated, backing away from his mother. "Baby, KJ, I-I'm so sorry." Giselle said, tears rolling down her face. "Sorry? How you expect me to tell Destiny? How do you expect me to makeup for missing out on a innocent child's life?"

He shook his head in disbelief, walking out of the kitchen. Giselle held her chest, sobbing like a baby. On the couch, Destiny and Jamal were engaged in a debate about prison reform. Kross cleared his throat, making his presence known. "Hey, babe. Are you ok?" Destiny asked, seeing the look of worry printed across his face. "C-Can I talk to you...upstairs?" He asked. She nodded, getting off the couch.

She followed behind him up the stairs until they made it into their room. Shutting the door quietly behind herself, she watched Kross plop down on the king sized bed. "What's wrong?" She questioned, tugging on the bottom of his shirt. He let out a heavy sigh, rubbing his eyes with his fingers. Destiny climbed on top of him, straddling him. "Talk to me." She spoke softly.

"It's my mom." He said, "She's something else." Destiny giggled, fairly agreeing with him. "But she's your mom, and she means well." She ran her French tip acrylic nails through his healthy beard. "Nah, babe. She really did it this time." Kross stated, still in disbelief. "Did what?" Destiny asked, curious. He sighed, sitting up straight. "3 years ago, I was in a relationship with someone. My mom didn't like her, so she thought it was ok to pay her out my life." He told her.

Destiny's eyes widened, surprised. "Oh, wow." She said, getting off him and claiming a seat next to him on the bed. "I wish that was the worst part." He spoke, looking at her face. His heart slowly cracked inside his chest. Although he still hadn't fully processed the news himself, he couldn't keep something this major from the love of his life. "I love you, Destiny. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you. I'd die for you, I mean that." He expressed.

"I know, babe. And I love you, too, but you're scaring me." Destiny laughed, holding her chest. "I don't want to scare you. I want to be honest with you, like I said I would be." Kross voiced. "Honest with me about what?" She asked. He sighed, dreading having to tell her something like this because he knew something like this isn't a small pill to swallow or a walk in the park.

"Baby, uh, my ex...Taylor, she's claiming me as the father of her 3 year old daughter." Kross admitted. She turned away, staring at the dark gloomy depths of the room walls, feeling hopeless and sad. Everything seemed so pointless now. She couldn't even bring herself to a response. She felt too sick. The deepest heartbreak can't be put into words. It's unspeakable.

  - - -

Thoughts on this chapter?

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰