D I S A S T E R I N D I S G U I S E

Harlem, New York:

Hearing a loud banging on the door, Taylor got up from the couch. She wasn't sure what day or time it was, but she knew she had been passed out for a while. Walking over to the door, she swung it open, revealing Kross and a female who she didn't know, standing beside him.

"Uh, hi. What are you doing here?" Taylor asked. "Why the fuck did Skylar call me last night saying she was hungry and trying to wake your ass up?" Kross mugged her. She cleared her throat, thinking of a good answer, but she couldn't remember what exactly happened. "Skylar is fine. You have nothing to worry about." She stated. "Oh, yeah? Where is she then?" He questioned, already knowing the answer.

But still, he wanted to show Taylor what half assed mother she is acting like. "She's still asleep." Taylor said, not having a clue that Skylar was in the care of Kross's parents, her grandparents. "No the fuck she's not." He raised his voice slightly. Destiny held his arm, getting him to calm down since they were still basically standing outside.

"Oh, god." Taylor held her chest. "Where is she? Where's my baby?" She panicked. Not wanting any of the neighbors to hear their business, Kross pushed passed her and into the apartment. Destiny was close behind him. "Were you tired, huh?" He asked, pacing back and fourth.

From where Destiny stood, she observed Taylor. It surprised her that Taylor wasn't a woman of color but she was the least bit intimidated. "I-I guess so." Taylor stuttered, feeling disappointed in herself. "You guess so? Anything could of happened to her! She could of burned the fucking apartment down! She could of got the door open and walked right out!" He yelled.

"I know you're upset, but I really don't feel comfortable with speaking about our daughter in front of a stranger." Taylor said, looking over at Destiny, who laughed in her face after that statement. "I don't give a fuck what you not comfortable with. This is my woman! She's gonna be here, so get with the damn program." He mugged.

"I don't want groupies around Skylar." Taylor voiced, crossing her arms. "Oh, I got your groupie, bitch." Destiny charged at her, but was quickly stopped by Kross holding onto her. "Taylor, watch yo mouth. This ain't no groupie nor will she ever be." He made clear. Taylor rolled her eyes, saying nothing in response.

"I think I should keep Skylar for a few days." He spoke after a few minutes of complete silence. Taylor looked at him like he lost his mind. "You are not taking my daughter. Just because you're playing the "daddy role" now, doesn't mean you're dad of the year, Kross." Taylor told him. "Excuse me, but if it wasn't for him answering his phone last night, god forbid, something could of seriously happened to your daughter." Destiny chimed in, feeling the need to defend her man.

"I'm sorry, but this is a conversation that has nothing to do with you." Taylor said. Destiny chuckled, pulling in her bottom lip. "It became my business the minute it involved Kross." She calmly stated. Taylor scoffed. "I got it." He whispered into her ear. She adjusted the mink coat on her shoulders, looking Taylor up and down. "This isn't what you want, baby girl." Destiny assured, confidently.

"Taylor stop trying to disrespect my lady. And, baby, she ain't even worth it." He shook his head looking in Taylor's direction. Taylor scoffed, "But I was worth it 3 weeks ago when you were on my couch until 4 in the morning." She smirked. Destiny bust out in laughter, "Oh, you mean that time he was here listening to you vent about being a shitty mom?" She asked.

Taylor couldn't find a comeback because she knew that's all she and Kross did that night. He was good enough to be a listening ear when she needed someone to talk to. "You told her?" Taylor questioned. "Hell yeah. I knew your ass would try and flip the script if things didn't go your way. And I recorded the conversation." He confessed.

Taylor's mouth hung open in shock. "I can't believe you." She said, hurt because she actually trusted Kross with her deepest feelings. "Look, I'm not trying to hurt you, Taylor. Just let me take Skylar for a few days so you can get your shit straight." He said. She shook her head no, "I'm not letting you take her anywhere." Destiny scoffed. "If you don't let me take her willingly, I'll go through the courts to get her." Kross spoke with seriousness in his voice.

"You wouldn't." Taylor's voice slightly cracked. "But I would. And, I have proof." He shrugged his shoulders. No words were said as Taylor thought about her options. She knew for a fact the court would grant Kross full custody. He's the more stable parent, plus he has a recording of her saying she doesn't feel fit to be a mother. "Just until I get myself together?" She asked. Kross nodded.

"I'm not trying to tear a child from her mother, but I also don't want to get a call that my daughter is in danger while in the hands of your care. Taylor, just accept my offer. I'm being fair, I could of pistol whipped your dumbass the minute you opened the door." He said, being completely honest with her.

Destiny couldn't help but to laugh under her breath. On the drive to Taylor's apartment, Kross kept bringing up ways he could knock some sense into her. He wasn't a woman beater in any way, shape or form, but Taylor made him think about putting hands on her just this once. "I want her to call me every night." Taylor said, wiping her eyes.

"I'll make sure of it." Kross assured. She nodded, walking to the back to pack some of Skylar's things. While she was doing that, Destiny took it upon herself to look around the apartment. It wasn't filthy, but it wasn't clean either. She did a walk in the living room, squinting her eyes at the small wooden table. She looked closer, looking at what seemed to be residue. "Kross." She quietly whispered.

He looked up from his phone, seeing Destiny pointing to the table. He got closer, looking at what she was looking at. "Is that?" He asked, not wanting to believe what he thought it was. "I think it might be." Destiny shook her head. This angered Kross even more. Taylor finally came back with a little suitcase pulling behind her. Kross looked up at her, in rage. Before he could control himself, he charged at her, full force.

"You couldn't feed your own child cause you was high off drugs!?" He held Taylor by the throat, bringing her breathing to a minimal. "You worthless piece of shit." He looked into her eyes, not regretting a word he had just said. Destiny walked over, pulling him off of Taylor. "Kross, stop." She held his face so that he was looking at her instead of Taylor.

He finally let go of her neck, taking a step back as Taylor dropped to the floor trying to catch her breath. "You know, I was being nice by giving you time to get your shit together. Now, I'll see your stupid, coke sniffing ass in court." He grabbed the small blue suitcase, pulling it over to the door.

This...this is the calm before the storm.

- - -

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰