T R U E C O L O R S

Destiny pushed Kaleb's stroller into the restaurant. "Hello, May I be of any assistance today?" The girl behind the desk greeted. "Hi. I'm meeting someone here." She told the hostess. "What's the name?" The girl asked, unlocking the iPad. "Kayla." Destiny answered. It took the hostess a few minutes to find the name before walking Destiny over to the table.

"Hey, it's good to see you!" Kayla smiled looking up. "You too!" Destiny returned the smile, detaching the car seat from the stroller piece. She sat across from Kayla and her two daughter. "Oh my goodness! Who are these cuties?" Destiny smiled at the twins. "This is Alissa and Arianna." Kayla introduced her daughters, "You girls say hi to Destiny."
Both girls waved.

Destiny waved back with a warm smile, getting a sense that the twins were shy because they didn't know her well enough. "They are too cute." She told Kayla. "Thanks. I see that cutie over there is getting so big!" Kayla cooed looking at Kaleb who was asleep in his car seat. "Right!" Destiny looked down at her son. "He'll be a month old in a couple days." She sighed.

Kayla chuckled, "Don't sound sad." She told Destiny. "They grow fast, and that's why you have to soak up every minute of motherhood." Kayla told her. Destiny nodded, taking Kayla's words of advice. The two have kept in contact with one another since they met at the hospital. They naturally bonded over motherhood and many other things.

"So, what have you been up to?" Destiny asked, searching through the menu. "Working like crazy." Kayla sighed. "Girl, I know how tiring that can be." Destiny responded. "Tell me about it!" Kayla shook her head. "Are you still trying to work things out with your boyfriend?" Destiny questioned.
Kayla had previously shared that she and her on-again-off-again boyfriend, were experiencing some relationship issues.

"We decided to take a break." Kayla informed, sounding hurt while trying not to seem hurt by the breakup. Destiny didn't want to interfere, so she said, "Do what's best for you and your babies." Although Kayla's boyfriend wasn't the biological father of her twins, he still played a huge role in their lives. Deep down, Kayla feared their breakup would change all of that.

"I know. That's all I think about." She looked over at her daughters, who played on her cellphone while waiting for their food. "What's up with you though, ready to get back to work?" Kayla asked. Destiny exhaled, "I don't know." She made a weird face. "It's just that;,when I think about going back to work and leaving him, I get sad." She admitted.

"Awe." Kayla made a puppy dog face. Being a mom herself, Kayla knew what it feels like to leave your babies for the first time. You really don't want to, but you know you have to because you're securing they're entire future. "Take your time finding a nanny. Don't leave him with anyone your gut doesn't trust." She said. Destiny nodded, already knowing this.

She's thankful for Kayla because she's probably the only friend she now has. Cleo went off to Washington to start her new career as a editor for some magazine company. They still keep in touch here and there, but it's a lot different with her being miles away. Destiny found herself often thinking about her late friend, Ashanti.

She still felt as if she let her best friend down, disappointed her even. "So... my birthday is coming up." Kayla shared. "Any plans?" Destiny asked, biting a piece of breadstick. "Well, there's this men's club that I want to go to, but I don't have much friends." Kayla said. "Men's club, like male strippers?" Destiny giggled. "Yes, I really wanna go. It's been on my bucket list since I graduated college." Kayla admitted, slightly embarrassed.

"Well I'll go, but I don't think my man is gonna be too pleased to hear where I'm going." Destiny laughed. "He'll be alright." Kayla waved her off. "I just want to have a good night. I need this." She added. Destiny knew the breakup was bothering Kayla, so she was cool with doing whatever to keep her mind off of it. "Let's do it then!" She agreed.

Kayla clapped, getting overly excited. Kayla is a pretty girl, any man could see that. She stood at five foot four with a very petite frame. She has small round shaped eyes and a straight pointed nose. Her natural hair stopped just above her shoulder, which is why she always chose to wear her hair up in a bun.

She came from a biracial family, a hispanic mother and a black father

She came from a biracial family, a hispanic mother and a black father. Destiny and Kayla were similar in a few ways. They both grew up in a single parent household. They both were just out here trying to make a living for themselves, and they both wanted the best for their children. Kayla's a free-spirited person who often wears her kindness on her sleeve.

But, she's also a little fire cracker. She wasn't the female that tolerated disrespect and she didn't mind checking somebody if they pushed her to it. After lunch, both girls made plans to get together on the weekend before parting ways. Destiny strapped Kaleb into the backseat of her truck.

She backed out of the parking lot, making her way home. When she got there, she noticed Kross's truck in it's usual parking spot along with a decked out Bentley. She raised her eyebrows, not knowing who the vehicle belonged to. She parked, getting out and grabbing her bag and the car seat.

Walking into the condo, it was extremely quiet. Since Kaleb was still sound asleep, she gently placed his car seat on the floor, walking into the the kitchen. It was empty so she turned right back around. She then figured Kross and his unknown company had to be in his office across the hall.

She approached the cracked door, overhearing the conversation between Kross and the figure she made out to be Chance. She got close enough where she could hear keenly.
"You need to clip that fool, is all I'm saying." Chance stated. "I told you already, when the time is right, we'll get his ass." Kross reasoned. Destiny had no knowledge what the two were speaking about, she continued to ease-drop.

"Bruh, that mother fucker shot you at yo own shit on some foul shit. You asked Swift to find out shit about him and there's no fucking trace of this "Quan" nigga in any system. That don't send a red flag?" Chance questioned. Destiny covered her mouth in shock. Her eyes expanded while backing up from the door. Those words replayed in her head.

The person who shot Kross is Quan. He did it, he almost killed the father of her child and the one she loves. Different emotions ran through her body as she sat on the couch, processing the information she overheard. It all made sense now. Kross didn't want to tell her who shot him because he knew it was cause more conflict.

Rage pumped through her blood as she tried to control herself. Quan nearly took the person who brought happiness into her life. Destiny wanted to kill Quan herself, but she knew she was no match for him. Although she was angry, a part of her was also hurt. Hurt because Quan was still toxic after all this time.

He was fine with taking away everything that gave Destiny peace. And that is exactly why Destiny was going to pay him a little visit.

     - - -

Thoughts on this chapter?

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰