L O S T S O U L S

"It's nice to see you, Destiny." Stephanie, my therapist, smiled. "Likewise." I slipped her a small smile. "How was your thanksgiving?" She questioned. Uh, besides the fact that I found out my man has another child, I'd say peachy. "It was nice. I spent it New York with my son, his father and his family members." I told her. "That sounds lovely." She grabbed her pen and notepad from her desk.

"How about your family? Did you spend time with any of them this year?" Stephanie asked. "No. Not this year." I simply answered. She nodded, "And what about your parents? Have you spoken to them since that night?" She eyed me closely. "No." I told her honestly. Right now, I don't care to speak to neither of my parents.

My mother won't come to terms with what my father did to me. And, my father, well he's dying and I can give zero fucks. "You know I won't force you to do nothing you are not ready for." Stephanie stated, "But, in order to move on from what happened in your childhood, you must make amends with both, your mother and father." I looked everywhere but her face, listening to her speak the truth.

Yes, I do want closure so I can completely put the past behind me, but it's easier said than done. "How do you forgive your own father for raping you? How do your forgive your mother, the woman who gave birth to you, for not believing you?" I asked, hopeless. I've asked myself these questions time, and time again.

"Because, you're not forgiving them for what they did. You're forgiving them so you, can finally put a stamp on the hurt they've caused." Stephanie stated. "Yeah, well, maybe when he dies I'll feel a little better." I said, sounding heartless. "Trust me, Destiny, you won't. It's only going to make the hurt increase." Stephanie reasoned.

She, too, is a rape victim. She knows first hand the kind of trauma such an awful encounter can bring, which is why she pursed a career in counseling. Stephanie loves working with her patients to help them overcome whatever they may be dealing with. "He makes me sick." I voiced, biting on my finger. "I mean, you'd think my mother would have realized my dresses were sometimes on backwards when we came home." I shook my head.

The flashbacks made me cringe in disgust. "Destiny. I want you to write two letters. One addressed to your mother, the other to your father." Stephanie spoke. "In the letters, I want you to honestly express how you feel towards them. Let them know every issue and problem you've had with them." She went on to say. "What's the point?" I asked. "At the end of the letters, you'll let them know you forgive them." She informed. I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Trust me on this." Stephanie closed the notepad in her lap. "It's not for them. This is for you and your peace." She said. I guess expressing myself in a letter wouldn't be as bad as having this conversation with them face to face. "Ok. I'll write the letters." I told her. "Thank you. Take all the time you need, but don't put it off." She smiled faintly.

I shook my head, understanding what was asked of me. Stephanie checked the time on her watch before looking back up at me. "We have about 30 minutes left in the session. Is there anything else you'll like to discuss?" She questioned. A shit load of things. I bit down on my bottom lip, looking out the window for a few seconds. "I, uh, I found out that my boyfriend may have another child." I said, looking down at my black stiletto heels.

There was a long moment of silence before Stephanie cleared her throat. "How does finding that out make you feel?" She asked. "Like an unexpected slap to the face." I admitted. "Why?" She squinted her eyes. "We've talked about our future many times. Kids, houses, businesses...you name it." I smirked briefly. "But, this...this is a curveball." I stated. "Why do you feel like it's an curveball?" Stephanie questioned.