M Y T U R N

As promised, today was Taylor's day with Skylar. She planned the perfect beach day for the both of them to enjoy, and afterwards they would meet Emmi to get ice cream before she brought Skylar back to her dads. "Don't you want to wear the bathing suit mommy got you?" Taylor questioned, spreading out  the different bathing suit options on the bed that was packed into her backpack.

Skylar shook her head no, "I want to wear that one." She pointed to the French blue one-piece that had butterflies going all around. "I think that one is too small, baby." Taylor reasoned. "No it's not!" Skylar raised her voice for the first time. Taylor's eyes widened as she paused, taking a deep breath. "Watch that tone, Sky. We can stay home if you keep on." She didn't like how her daughter had just yelled at her.

"My sweet step-mommy let's me pick what I want to wear." Skylar sulked, on the verge of waterworks. "Skylar, I am not Destiny. I am your mother, and I don't appreciate your sass right now. You're going to put on the bathing suit of my choice and that's final." Taylor grabbed the leopard print two-piece set off the bed. Skylar frowned while getting into the bathing suit with the help of her mother.

"Get your shoes on while I pack us some snacks." Taylor instructed. She then walked into the kitchen to grab the homemade sliders and bags of chips, along with some waters and juice pouches. They left the apartment shortly after. The car ride to the beach was awfully silent even with the radio playing at a low volume. "You okay back there?" Taylor took notice to Skylar's unusual silence. She shook her head yes then went back to toying with the beaded bracelets around her tiny wrist.

Taylor hoped by time the two arrived at the beach, Skylar's mood would shift. When they pulled into the parking garage, there was an incoming FaceTime call from Kross. Taylor swiped the phone screen, "Hey." She answered. "How's Skylar?" He asked. Taylor held the phone to show Skylar's face in the camera. Kross could automatically tell there was something wrong by the look in her eyes. "Hey, baby girl! Why you look so sour, you okay?" He asked.

Taylor put her face back in the camera before Skylar got a chance to respond. "She's fine, Kross. She has a slight attitude because I wouldn't let her wear what she wanted to the beach." She told him. His face held a 'the fuck?' expression but he quickly remembered it was a FaceTime call and kept his cool. "Taylor, put my daughter back on the phone." He spoke in a demanding tone. "Can I enjoy my day with her? We'll call you back when we're done building sand castles and enjoying the sun." She hung up swiftly.

"You ready to go Sky?" She looked back. Skylar nodded and they got out of the car. They found a perfect spot not too far from the water to lay their beach towels down. It seemed Skylar's mood had changed once she found two little girls around her age to run along the beach with. Taylor watched as her daughter played, jollied.

Often times she found it hard to believe she was a mother, despite the couple of mess ups caused on her behalf. She was thankful that Skylar couldn't remember too much of her darkest days, or so she assumed. She snapped a few pictures of Skylar playing in the water and building different size sand castles, sending it to Kross, assuring him that Skylar's mood was much better now.

"Watch this, mommy!" Skylar called out. Taylor directed her attention to Sky. She did two perfect cartwheels, causing Taylor to stand up and cheer her daughter on. "You've gotten so much better!" She gave her a thumbs up. Skylar cheesed, her curls blowing all over her face due to the windy breeze. Though Taylor wished their day at the beach didn't have to end soon, she had to get Skylar her promised ice cream on time in order to have her back home by eight.