S O U N D S O F H I S T O R Y

Two weeks later:

"Remind me again why you're doing this?" Destiny watched Deedra pace the kitchen in attempt to packing some lunch which consisted of leftovers. "I do this every Monday before work. I don't care if she eats it or not, I simply feel good about doing a good deed; especially for our mother. That's the part that matters." Deedra reasoned. Destiny scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Why do you always do this, always have faith in ma?" Destiny was feeling extremely short tempered with her sister these days. She truly didn't understand Deedra's easily forgiven ways.

"That's our mom, regardless. Despite how you and everybody else feels about her, I still love her." Deedra rolled her eyes; this was often the response she gave each time she got pulled up on the question. "Oh, really?" Destiny stood up straight from the island, "Because if I can recall, she's always turned her back on us. It was always 'fuck us' and still is. She didn't care if we ate or not when she was getting high. Why the hell are you so pressed about having a mother? She's a shitty fucking mom Deedra!" Destiny finally snapped.

"I don't care!" Deedra yelled back, she was tired of trying to get her sister to see the bigger picture— or maybe she was too far in denial to come to terms with the type of person and mother Trina always proved herself to be. "You walk around with your chest so high as if you don't give a damn about ma. You know you love her, stop acting like a heartless bitch." She grabbed the plastic containers from the marble white countertop before storming out the kitchen.

"How many times you gonna let her break your heart before you walk away for your own good?" Destiny watched her sister stop in the middle of the living room. Deedra said nothing in response as she quickly left her sisters house in a hurry. Destiny could only hope her sister would someday come to her senses. She could hear movement by the stairs as she paced the kitchen. Kross came into view moments later, standing a few feet away from his in distress wife.

"You can lead a horse to water, doesn't mean they'll drink it." Kross spoke after a long beat. Destiny let out a tiresome sigh while rubbing her temples. "I, I don't know what it is." She stuttered, "She's always painting over our mothers skin and I, I cannot wrap my head around it." Destiny's eyes pooled with tears. Her emotions seemed to be all over the place these past couple of days.

"Shh. It's no need for you to cry, baby. I understand you don't wanna see Deedra get hurt yet another time by y'all mama, but somethings you really have to let people learn on their own." Kross reasoned. "That's it, that's the thing! She's seen how many times that woman has hurt us and she just keeps running to her rescue." Her voice was imprinted with frustration. "Calm down." Kross rubbed her arms for more ease and comfortable. "Just focus on your breathing. I don't need my wife hyperventilating at two in the afternoon." He joked.

Destiny chuckled, taking deep breaths and exhaling. "Thank you." She looked up at his tawny complexion, admiring his freshly trimmed hair and beard. "You gotta remember to breathe, baby." Kross placed a wet kiss on her forehead before walking over to the fridge. He cleared his throat after grabbing a bottle of water, "I gotta meet up with Chance and Kyrie soon. I'll be back before dinner though." He stated. "Okay. The sitter is going to be here any minute now. I'm going ti run upstairs and finish getting ready." Destiny responded.

"You nervous?" Kross eyed his wife. Today was her first session with a new therapist. "Not really, no. I'm just skeptical because you know how I felt about my last therapist." She bit down on her bottom lip. He nodded, "Take it one step at a time. Feel this new person out." Kross wanted to spread all the positivity and support his wife the best way he could. "I will, promise." She grinned.