O N T H E R O C K S

Six weeks later:

Kaleb's small cries sounded loud through the baby monitor. Rinsing her hands at the sink, Destiny hurried up the stairs and into his nursery. She watched him squirm around before picking him up. "Alright, cranky boy. I'm here." She walked over to the rocking chair in the corner, plopping down and removing her left breast from the nursing bra. As usual, Kaleb latched to her nipple; keeping his hands balled into fists. Destiny giggled, brushing his soft, wild curls.

Kross stood in the frame of the doorway, admiring the sight of his family. "Let me burp him when you done." He finally spoke, causing Destiny to look up from Kaleb's face. "Aren't you stepping out?" She questioned with a slight attitude. Kross sighed, completely stepping into the nursery. "You still upset?" He asked. Destiny scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"You won't tell me who shot you even though I know, you know who shot you." She said.
"Didn't I tell you not to worry about that?" He touched her thigh. She looked down at his hand, shaking her head. "Somebody shot you at our baby shower. You could've died!" Her voice was slightly raised. Kross ran his fingers through his beard.

"Why you wanna know so bad, will it give you comfort?" He asked, looking down at her as she placed her exposed breast back into her bra. "Kross, if you don't wanna tell me who shot you, I think I should at least know why you were a target. For all we know, you might still be a target!" She stressed. He took the baby from her arms, rocking back and forth while he burped their son.

"I don't know why." Kross simply replied. He was technically telling the truth. He didn't know why Quan shot him, but he was going to find out and end it all, very soon. "I'm over it." Destiny sighed, not believing what he told her. Never has Kross given Destiny a reason to think he's a liar but she sensed something was off about the whole story.
"Don't be mad at me." He watched her fix the bedding in Kaleb's crib.

"Then don't keep things from me." She rolled her eyes. She took Kaleb from his arms, grabbing his change of clothes. "I'll be back soon." Kross told her, placing a kiss on her lips. She gave him a loving kiss though she was frustrated with the white lies he told. He planted a kiss on Kaleb's forehead before leaving the nursery. When Destiny heard the front door open and close, she exhaled heavily. Since the incident, she feared for his life more than ever.

  - - -

Quan:

"I'm sorry bruh, but you sure this yo baby?" Hakim questioned, holding what he swore was the cutest baby he's ever seen. "Stop playing nigga." Quan mugged, looking over at Hakim while he held his daughter. "I'm just saying... you ain't the best looking nigga." Hakim joked. "And you ain't no better looking, monkey face ass." Quan clapped back. "You two need to stop cussing around my baby." Blair stated, entering the living room.

"Chill out, B. I know she a month old and all, but I doubt she understand what we saying." Hakim laughed. "It doesn't matter. Are you done holding her?" Blair was already removing the baby from his hands. Hakim happily handed the baby to her mother. Blair grilled Quan but didn't bother to speak. She walked off with the baby, disappearing upstairs. "Mane, I need to smoke." Quan rubbed his temples while standing from the sofa. Hakim followed him to the back.

"I know babies are blessing and all that shit, but your baby moms be tripping." Hakim shook his head. "That bitch naturally bitter." Quan felt no need to sugar coat anything while in the process of rolling up. He didn't know why he was still with Blair. He constantly cheats and comes home late— however, he vowed to have their daughter, Peyton grow up in a two-family home. "Exactly why I'm good on baby mamas." Hakim was smart enough to always use protection.

Quan put the perfectly rolled blunt in between his lips, lighting it with the green lighter. He inhaled deeply before releasing the smoke. He did this three more times before passing it to Hakim.
"I did some crazy shit." Quan said, leaning back on the small leather couch. "What?" Hakim asked, taking a pull from the blunt. "I shot some nigga but ain't kill him." Quan told his friend. Hakim scrunched up his face.

"Nigga, you is smart enough to know it's shoot to kill." Hakim sounded disappointed. Quan knew better than to do some weak shit like that. "Who the fuck you shoot anyways?" Hakim handed the blunt back to Quan. He took a few pulls before responding, "Kross... Kross Jackson bitch ass." Hakim's eyes widened at the name he heard. "What!" He exclaimed. "Fuck you do that fo?"

Quan chuckled humorously, "Punk ass nigga sending warnings, so I returned the favor." He didn't hear how stupid he sounded. "Yeah, except, Kross ain't no punk. You know who that nigga pops is, don't you?" Hakim questioned. "Should I care?" Quan scrunched up his face. "You don't even know what fuck you did, bruh." Hakim shook his head looking over at his friend.

"Yeah, I do. I shot a nigga. That's what I do." Quan replied toneless. "You just shot a nigga who's dad can literally have yo ass decapitated... congratulations, you a dead man walking." Hakim clapped. "You sound scary." Quan's hung low while glimpsing at Hakim. "Ain't nobody scary." Hakim got all defensive, slightly raising his voice. "Whatever, nigga." Quan fanned him off.
"I hope you ain't do this shit with intensions of getting that girl back." Hakim spoke moments later. Quan scoffed. "You know me, Hak. This ain't bout no bitch." He stated.

His words sounded believable except, they weren't the truth. Every part of this had to do with Destiny. Quan wanted Kross out the picture, and he made that clear with the warning he sent.

                                       - - -

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰