S I L E N C E A M O N G S T U S

Later on that night, Destiny waited up for Kross to get home. She cleaned the entire house after giving Kaleb a bath and putting him to sleep. She sat on the couch, watching old episodes of Law and Order: SVU. Her phone vibrated on the coffee table in front of her. She quickly grabbed it up, hoping to see his name printed across the screen.

Unfortunately, it wasn't and this disappointed her. "Hello." She answered the phone, putting it to her ear. "Damn, girl. If you miss me just say that." Cleo joked from her end. Destiny chuckled lightly, "Hey, Cleo." She said, sounding more cheerful this time. "I was just calling to check on you." Her friend stated.

Cleo knows all about Kross's alleged child, so she figured she'd see how everything was going. "I'm mad." Destiny spoke, "Do I not have a right to be mad?" She questioned. "Des, you have every right to feel some type of way." Cleo voiced. "Then why does it make me feel selfish?" She looked down at her white ankle socks.

"Just wait until y'all get the paternity test before you let your emotions get the best of you." Cleo told her. Destiny exhaled, remembering vividly what happened at the lawyers office earlier. "We, um... got the results today, actually. He's the father, Cle." She disclosed. This came as a shock to Cleo because she didn't think there was a strong chance of Kross even being the daddy.

"Des, I'm sorry about what you're going through girl." Cleo spoke, feeling the deepest sympathy for her friend. "I can't do anything about it." She shrugged her shoulders, feeling hopeless. "You can take things one day at a time. Of course this is all new for you, but you love Kross. And, Kross loves you. Y'all will figure it out." Cleo said. Destiny held her hand under her chin, feeling lost. It was as if she was here, physically, but her mind wasn't.

Just as she opened her mouth to respond to Cleo, she heard the front door open and close. "Cle, I'll call you back later." She told her friend. "Handle yo shit, girl. Talk to you later." Cleo spoke before ending the call. Destiny stood up from the couch, waiting for Kross to enter the living room area. When he did, she could automatically tell he had been drinking.

"I called you... ten times." She said, watching him lean on the wall. His eyes hung low. "Phone must've died." He shrugged. "Kross, let's not." Destiny rolled her eyes, folding her arms across her chest. "Cool. Let's not." He said, sounding all nonchalant. "We need to talk." She voiced. "For what? I already know you don't want that little girl to be mine, but news flash, she is mine." He slightly raised his voice.

She walked closer to him, "Sure, I didn't want her to be yours, but it's not like I'm telling you not to take care of her or be there for her. Stop acting like an ass." She told him. "Stop acting jealous!" Kross spat, shocking Destiny. "Acting jealous?" She questioned, staring him down. "Bro, you deadass heard what I said." He removed his sneakers from his feet.

"You think I'm acting jealous over a child?" She asked, confused as to why Kross would think she was jealous. But you know what they say: drunk thoughts speak sober minds. "Yes, I do." He nodded, going to claim a seat on the couch. "Well, I'm the least bit of jealous. I'm simply trying to have your back. I don't want you or your feelings getting hurt in the long run. It's called making sure you handle the situation with caution." She educated.

"Whatever." Kross mumbled. "Is this the liquor talking or you really feel like this?" She questioned, over his asshole-like attitude. There was a moment of silence before he looked up at her, "I'm leaving for New York in the morning. I'm going to meet and spend time with my daughter before Christmas." He voiced. "Just like that you're going to up and leave?" Destiny looked at him. She couldn't believe the man who sat in front of her.

"Look, I'll be back before Christmas 'cause I know you wanna make it special for our son." He said. "So, you just gonna do things without talking to me about it?" She asked, completely ignoring his previous statement. "I'm talking to you now, aren't I?" He stood up from the couch. Destiny scoffed, not feeling this side of Kross one bit.

Seeing that this wasn't going anywhere, she bit down on her bottom lip. "Fine, Kross. Go to New York, meet and spend time with your daughter because she's deserves to have a father. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart." She turned, walking up the stairs and into the bedroom. She locked the door behind her, sliding down to the floor.

She held her knees up to her chest, quietly sobbing. The tears kept flowing til' the point she got a headache. Climbing into bed, she curled up under the thick blanket. She didn't know how to fix this, but she knew she didn't deserve to be talked to in such way.

                                            - - -

The next morning:

The sun from outside beamed through the room windows, causing Destiny to cover her eyes as she got out of bed. She immediately walked down the hallway, checking on Kaleb, who was still asleep but would be getting up any minute now. She jogged down the stairs, in search of Kross. She figured he must've passed out on the couch why he didn't come to bed.

But, there was no sign of Kross. She went back upstairs. Going through their joint closet, she discovered that some of his clothes were missing. Rushing over to the bed, she grabbed her phone, trying to get in contact with him. Each time his phone went to voicemail. She really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, and think it was the alcohol talking, but I guess what he said last night he actually meant.

She wasn't mad, but more-so woeful that he left knowing they weren't on a good note. Just as she thought, the results of the DNA test would change things. Still, she never saw it coming this soon.

                                           - - -

Thoughts on this chapter:

- Was Kross in the wrong for just leaving like that?
- You guys think their relationship is going to be okay or get worse 🧐

Vote & comment. Thanks for reading! 🥰