Chapter 40- Popularity

"Hey, good game on Friday!" Some random guy that I've never met before says as he walks by me and high-fives me

"Hey, good game on Friday!" Some random guy that I've never met before says as he walks by me and high-fives me. I look back over my shoulder then look straight and keep walking.

I hear Ayla laugh quietly beside me. I snap my head towards her with my brows furrowed. "What?" I ask as we walk up to an empty lunch table.

The lunch room is packed with students, seeing as it's lunchtime. I pull a chair out and sit down, Ayla sits across from me. "It's just funny how surprised you get when someone comes up to you and congratulates you on the hockey game." Ayla says with a smile.

"It- it's just gonna take some getting used too. I mean, this time last year I was a nobody. Not a single- well, bedsides Ardyn and Weston and the teachers knew me." I say while picking at my stale sandwich.

"Yeah but doesn't it like- um... come with the territory? Being on the varsity hockey team and all." Ayla replies back and stuffs food in her mouth.

"What comes with the territory?" I ask confused.

"Popularity." Ayla says with a pointed look.

I sigh and glance around the big room. "Uh, I guess." I shrug my shoulders.

I remember that there's something I've been meaning to ask Ayla. Something that's been bothering me. "H- hey, speaking of the team and Kain. After I left your house last night, I saw a black-ish or dark colored car drive down our road. Did you see it? Did it pull in your driveway?"

Ayla sets her fork down to the side and bites the inside of her cheek shyly. She softly shakes her head. "Uh n- no. I didn't. Did you see what kind of c- car it was?" Ayla's voice comes out shaky.

I try to think back and remember but the memory is hazy. "No. I just saw the blinding headlights. But I know that it was a car and it was a dark color. Black, maybe? Oh! And it was loud. That's what made me notice the car. Man, it was loud."

"Hmm." Is all Ayla says and looks away from me.

Okaaay, she's definitely acting weird. She knows something. I open my mouth to ask her if she knows who it is but Ayla slams her hand on the table and her eyes go wide. "Oh crap! Shoot. I have to go. I told Mrs Lynch that I'd go to her class during lunch and finish my project. I'm sorry, Scott." Ayla says as she stands up and gathers her things.

I sit back in my chair and watch her. "No, it's fine. Go ahead. I'll just see you later." I say with a half smile.

Ayla stops and looks at me. "You sure? I mean, I don't have a choice but don't be mad." Ayla grabs her lunch tray with her half eaten food on it.

"Ayla, it's fine. Go. School is important." I say reassuring her.

Ayla looks at me with an 'I'm sorry' look then she turns and hurries out of the cafeteria. I sit up and continue eating my food. I look to my left, out the windows and watch the rain fall outside. It rains a lot in Dalton during the Fall season.