Chapter 24- Catch the Mouse

"Are you sure that you should be playing in the game against Kain tomorrow? The home opener is in exactly one week

"Are you sure that you should be playing in the game against Kain tomorrow? The home opener is in exactly one week. Do you think you should risk it like that?" Ayla asks concerned.

"Risk it like what?" I say puzzled.

"I mean if you get hurt tomorrow, who knows what could happen. Don't you think you should cancel this stupid game with Kain and just stay home so there's no way that you could get hurt?" Ayla tells me.

"Ayla. I'm gonna be fine. Okay? Don't worry. I have to go, I have gotta go to class early and talk to Mr Coven. I'll see you later." I say back reassuring Ayla.

I grab my history book from the top shelf in my locker then I close my locker.

Turning to my right, Ayla stands in front of me with a worried expression on her face.

I put my history book between my legs and squeeze my legs together so I don't drop the book.

Putting my hands on Ayla's shoulders, I lean down a bit so we're eye level and look Ayla dead in the eyes. "I promise, everything will be fine. Okay?"

Ayla bites the inside of her cheek, closes her eyes, takes a deep breath, nods and opens her eyes.

I drop my hands, grab the book from my legs, give Ayla a smile and walk past her.

I walk up the hallway, make a right then a left and walk up the stairs. When I reach the top of the stairs, I make a left and walk towards my history class. As I'm walking I look straight down the hall, I see a beautiful sandy blonde hair, green eyed girl walking towards me. Ember Smith.

Every time I see her, she makes me stop dead in my tracks.

As she gets closer to me, we lock eyes. It's like she's walking in slow motion.

She walks by me, I turn around, I can't take my eyes off her.

She's a little bit down the hall but she looks back at me before she disappears. When she gives me that last look, I have to make myself swallow or else my throat will go completely dry and I'll go into an embarrassing coughing fit.

Wooow. The first time I saw her, we were both in the 4th grade. We pretty much grew up together but we never talked or hung out together. I was and still am nervous as hell when I see her. There's no way I'll ever get to talk to her. She's way way out of my league. She's like the queen bee of this school.

The five minute bell rings and interrupts my thoughts. I shake my head and remember that I'm still standing in the hallway.

I continue my walk to my history class. I walk in the classroom look to my right, Mr Coven is sitting at his desk, reading a book. I walk to his desk and we have a quick chat before class.

All class, I was trying not to but I was thinking about Ember. Every once in a while she enters my mind.

I open my locker and switch out my text books then I shut my locker door.