Chapter 73- 22 years and 400 Games

"Last Monday before Christmas break

"Last Monday before Christmas break. Let's fucking go, boys!" Myles exclaims excitingly, trying to get us hyped up.

Grey groans, "Yeah, but we still have the whole week before the break even starts. It's only Monday so shut the hell up, Myles". He snaps.

Myles shrugs off the comment from Grey and looks at me, "Kain, where's your girl at?"

A group of girls walk by, they wave and smile at me as they walk, I ignore them and look toward Myles and shrug my shoulders "I don't have a fucking clue, why?"

"I don't know, just wondering. Usually you two are attached at the hip." Myles jokes then laughs.

"Fuck you." I say and hold up my middle finger at Myles.

Usually we'd be outside at our usual picnic table hanging out but it's covered in snow and it's cold as fuck out. I'm not complaining though, I love the snow and the cold weather. I prefer winter over summer any day. Anyway, we're hanging out by Luke's locker.

A loud voice booms on the PA speakers, "Kain Banks, please report to coach Wilson's office".

"Fuck." I mutter under my breath.

"Ooooh." Myles and Boo say in unison.

"You're in trouble." Luke says in a singsong voice.

I roll my eyes, "Whatever" I say then turn to my right and walk down the hall.

I get about twenty feet away from the boys when I hear Grey yell out to me, "Hey, Kain! If Clutch takes away your captain spot, tell him I'll be glad to take it."

I stick up my middle finger as I keep walking. I make it to Clutch's office, cross my arms over my chest and lean against the door frame. Clutch's sitting in his chair, facing the wall of old photos behind his desk, so his back is to me.

"You wanted to see me?" I say in a low voice.

At the sound of my voice, Clutch turns his head, looks at me over his left shoulder then continues looking at the wall of pictures. "Thirty-seven." Is all he says.

I pull my brows together in confusion. "What?" I ask puzzled.

"Thirty-seven thousand, two hundred and twenty-four stuffed animals." Clutch says.

It takes me a few seconds to realize what he's talking about then it clicks. "Oh, you mean the Teddy Toss on Saturday's game. So we beat last years record?"

Clutch doesn't say anything for a moment, he spins around in his chair, puts his elbows on his desk and sighs a long sigh. "Tell me something, Kain. Have I made a difference in your life?"

I'm completely surprised by his question, I wasn't expecting him to ask me something like that. "Uh wh- what do you mean?"

"You know, a change... in your life," He pauses "I mean, being on this team, me hammering you all the time. Have you learned anything?"