Chapter 46- Tell Me The Truth

"Okay, are you ready for this?" I ask Ayla

Ayla closes her locker and leans her left shoulder against her closed locker. "Am I ready for what?"

"Are you ready for the hardest question of the day?" My tone getting higher with excitement.

"Which is?..."

"Are we eating here for lunch or are we gonna go off-school for lunch?"

Ayla bites the inside of her cheek. "Hm... I think we should stay here for lunch. It was beautiful outside this morning. Hopefully, the weather is still nice so we can eat outside."

I nod then we walk to the cafeteria. We walk in the lunchroom, get our food, walk out of the lunchroom and head outside. I hold the door open for Ayla, she walks through and I follow behind her. We turn right and walk down the aisle between the line of picnic tables on either side. I let Ayla pick which table to sit at, she walks about half way down the aisle, stops at a table on the right and sets her tray on the right side of the table. Ayla swings her leg over the bench and sits with her back facing the way we came from, I sit across from her. We eat and make small talk for a bit then I hear loud banter. I look over Ayla's left shoulder and see Kain and all his friends. They walk to the first picnic table on the left, across the aisle from us.

Not long after they arrive, Ember and Hazyl show up. They all sit or stand on and around the picnic table, talking. I can't hear what they're saying. Ayla follows my stare, she looks back over her left shoulder.

Kain glances around then his gaze lands on Ayla and me. He looks at us for a long second then he looks away. Him and Ember talk for a bit then he opens his arms and she walks in and they hug. while we watch them hug, Ayla and I look away.

I go back to eating and I notice Ayla just playing with her food.

I duck my head down so I can get her attention. "Hey, are you okay?" Then I pop a french fry in my mouth.

Ayla blinks rapidly a few times then she shakes her head and clears her throat. "Huh? Oh, uh, y- yeah. I'm fine, are you?"

I furrow my brows in confusion. "Yeah, I'm fine," I say slowly. "Are you sure that you're okay? it seems like what you saw made you distance or uncomfortable?"

Ayla just shakes her head. She doesn't say anything. If Ayla wanted to talk to me about it or anything, she knows she can. I don't want to pressure her into thinking about it any further so I drop it and continue eating my lunch.

After a while, I hear a whistle. I look around behind me but no one's looking at us so I look forward, towards Kain and his group of friends. I see Myles waving me over to them. Myles and I aren't close so he can't be talking to me, could he?

I point my index finger to my chest and Myles nods his head. But he also gestures to Ayla to go over too.

I nod my head then I look at Ayla. "Uh, th- they want us to go over there." I say in almost a whisper.