Chapter 2

Carlisle's Pov

I can't wait to pick up the little child. I'm just nervous about her condition. She'll be in good hands, though. I should call Stephanie and tell her I would like her.

"Hello? Stephanie? Yes, this is Carlisle Cullen and I was wondering when I would be able to pick up the child?"

I can hear Stephanie smiling over the phone, "Oh, this is such a blessing! Thank you so much Dr. Cullen. You may pick her up today if you'd like. I just want to warn you, she isn't doing well. She needs to get food into her system and her lungs need to strengthen, but knowing you, you will be able to save the precious baby. Oh, I'm so glad your able to take her. She's going to be in good hands."

I smile and nod, "Yes, she certainly will. I'll be over later today with my wife. We'll pick her up."

"Oh, thank you Dr. Cullen! I'll see you then. Thank you!" I smile and end the phone call. Despite my worries I believe this is just what we need to complete our family.

After work I head home to get Esme. As I walk into the door I call for my wife so we can go get the newest member of our family. "Esme? Would you like to go get the newest addition to the family?" In a second the whole family rush to the door.

"Can we go Carlisle? Can we help?" Alice asks me. I smile fondly at her, "I'm not sure if there will be room. Depending on her condition and the equipment she'll need to help her. It would be best if you stay here. We'll be back soon."

Alice and Rosalie nod and dash off. I hear them talking in the distance, "We can go shopping while their gone. She'll need new clothes, toys, and her room needs to be decorated. The boys can help with that." I smile as I hear my family get to work.

"Are you ready to go, dear?" My wife asks me. I nod and we rush out to Seattle to pick up the child.

Once we walk through the doors a middle aged woman walks up. She has brown hair and big round glasses. "Oh! You must be Dr. Cullen. Stephanie is in the back with the baby. If you'll follow me I'll take you to her."

I nod and we go to the back of the hospital where they keep the premature babies or the babies who need help for a while. "Dr. Cullen. It's so nice to meet you. I'm Stephanie and this is my assistant Zoey. And here is baby Gracelyn, Lee. Grace, look here. This is your new family," she says in a quiet whisper to the baby girl.

The baby stirs, but doesn't wake. Me and Esme both smile at each other. "Here. If you'll hold her here, then I'll get the papers and Zoey can get her all set up." I nod and take the baby in my arms. She whimpers a little bit, I rock her until she goes back to sleep. She is such a sweet child.

I feel Esme touch my shoulder and I gently hand her over. Esme is smiling at the child the whole time. "Hi, baby girl." She coos to the child. "Dr. Cullen? If you'll come with me we can get you all set up and ready to go." I nod as Esme hands over the child to Zoey.

As we sign the papers and get the medicine and extra oxygen that the baby will need. "Since you are a doctor and know what to do in these cases, then I'm going to let you have her now, but she needs to be monitored. She still can't breathe well at all and her eating isn't doing good. I hope you'll call us if you need any help or any equipment for the baby." I nod and finish off the paperwork.

"I'll be sure to give you weekly updates and ask your opinion for which medicines might be better for her."

Stephanie smiles, "Then your all set. Here's the paperwork and Zoey will follow you out to your car to help you get her settled." I nod and me and Esme show Zoey to our car so we can take baby Gracelyn home.

As we pull into the driveway I look back at the child. She whines and starts to cry. Me and Esme jump out of the car fast and get the baby out. "Shh. Shh. It's ok sweet girl." My wife coos to the child. The baby stops crying but still whines. I reach for the child and kiss her head.

"Hello, baby. Please don't cry." I say sweetly to the child. Gracelyn stops crying and looks up at me with big blue eyes. I smile and nod to Esme who grabs all of the baby's things and we head  into the house.

Once we walk into the door my whole family is waiting for us. I smile and nod to the child, "This is baby Gracelyn. She will be a part of our family." They all smile and Alice and Rosalie are the first to rush to us. Before they reach out I stop them, "Wait. We need to set some rules. She is still a baby and a premature at that. She's having a hard time breathing and eating and as you can tell her heartbeat isn't quite as steady as it should be. I need everyone to be very cautious. We need to have everything sanitized and safe for the child." They all nod and wash their hands fast.

I look around the room and notice that there is already items all around the room for the baby. I smile as everyone comes back into the room at the same time. I walk into the living room and motion for them to sit down. "I know you will be careful, but she is more fragile than a normal human being." They nod and I hand her to Rosalie first.

She grins big and Emmett comes behind her to look at the baby. "Hello, sweetie pie. I'm Rosalie. You can call me Rose." I sit by Esme as I watch them interact with the child.

"Hey, kiddo. I'm Emmett. I'm going to teach you all about sports and we'll go outside and play. We'll get into mischief together." He says with a laugh. Rosalie hands Gracelyn to Alice and Jasper. Alice sighs and smiles down at the girl.

"Hello, baby Grace. I'm Alice and your going to be the cutest dressed baby in the whole world." I smile as everyone chuckles. "Hello, darlin'. I'm Jasper. Your a cute thing aren't you?" She looks at everyone and everything with wide eyes.

"Edward, do you want to hold her?" He nods and Alice takes Grace to him. Once Grace is in Edward's arms she looks at him and smiles. I laugh, "She must like you, Edward. She hasn't smiled, according to any of the doctors, yet." Edward smiles at the child and holds her closer.

"Hello, beautiful child. Don't worry, I'll always protect you." He says in a near whisper as the baby smiles at him. My eyes go wide and I look at Esme. She has the same thought. Edward has found his mate.