Chapter 68

On our way back from McDonald's, I start to fall asleep again. "Hey, Grace. Wake up," Seth says as he gently shakes my shoulders. "What happened to your hands?"

I see all the guys, including Jared who's driving, turn my way. I look down at my blisters with a smile before leaning closer to Seth's side. "I learned Beethoven. Completely mastered them."

"That's great Gracie," Seth says with a giant smile. "You're going to have to play for me, ok?" I nod before leaning my head against the window, looking out as we get closer to the house.

Maybe I wasn't overreacting earlier. What if I can somehow lore Laurent my way so we can kill him. Or he can kill me. With that thought in mind, I quickly let myself fall to sleep. I'm out in ten seconds.

Laurent suddenly jumps and grabs my neck. "What did I tell you," he sneers. "It hasn't been two hours since you tried to trick me. I told you I would..."

"I'll go to you," I interrupt quickly as the air leaves my throat. Laurent drops me and backs up with a laugh. "Finally she gets smart."

"I'll come with you, I promise. Tell me what to do, and I'll do it. Just leave my family and my friends alone. That's all I ask, ok? Please. For all that you've taken and you will take, leave them alone."

Laurent laughs wildly, sadistically. "You know what? I'll do that. You've entertained me well, doll. Tomorrow. Get your family to let you walk to those mutts house alone. When you get half way, walk to the clearing. You know the one I'm talking about. Then we'll finish this."

I nod as I slowly stand up. "I will, but you've got to give me something. They won't let me go when I'm not even able to walk on my own due to exhaustion. Let me sleep for as long as I can and in the morning I'll do exactly what you say. I swear."

He speeds forwards. "You better not be playing me. You're family and pets will pay that price." I nod and he loosens his grip, before grinning, "I'll see you soon."

I take a deep breath in, but keep my eyes closed. "Grace, Grace get up." Seth shakes my shoulder over and over again. I whine slightly before curling up into his side and sighing at the warmth.

"Seth, stop. Listen. Her hearts not racing like it normally does. She's actually sleeping."

Everyone goes quiet and I start to really go to sleep.

"Why didn't you tell me," I hear Seth hiss after I wake up from a much needed rest.

"I thought you would have noticed she was dead on her feet," Edward hisses back.

"Boys," Carslies stern voice says and I feel his hand run through my hair. "If either of you wake Gracelyn up I will kick both of you out of this house myself. You two know how much she needs this. Let her rest as long as she can."

"What are we going to do Carlisle," Rose asks worriedly. "It's only a matter of time before she tries to do something herself. We can't loose her."

"Why haven't we changed her. That could solve everything," Emmett says and I hear multiple voices rise.

"Children," Dad's voice says harshly. "None of us want this for Grace. Not only does she not want to be a vampire, she'll never be able to see the pack again. You know how much she loves La Push. She would rather die."

That's true. I would rather die than become a vampire. All my friends would hate me, Seth would hate me. I could never go to the beach or play or anything anymore. I would rather die.

"But Carlisle..."

"No, buts. I don't care what you have seen Alice. She is not going to turn. We swore to protect her and that is what we will do. We can ask our cousins and friends to come help. Then we can assure he'll be caught. We can set up...."