Chapter 61

I absentmindedly thrash around in my bed, images of blood, fire, and people haunting me.

"You can't run away from me. You have no one to protect you," Laurent's voice whispers into my head.

"Do you really think you're family couldn't catch me? They want you out of your hair just as much as those wolves do. They're letting me do the dirty work for them. No one will ever love you, so why don't you just give yourself up to me? Save your so called families lives. If I find you, I will kill you and all of them as well."

Laurent stalks forward and I run as fast as I can down a narrow road, it's never ending lanes with trees for miles on both sides. I trip, and he pounces, like a cat on a mouse.

"You'll never be the girl you were. I have ruined you from the inside out. Who would want you when you are broken?"

"Grace! Grace, love, wake up!" I feel someone shake me gently, loud barking ringing through the air. My chest tightens as the air closes in and I breath as much air in as I can and croak out, "Will."

I feel her being placed on me and she lays down on my chest, nuzzling her face into my neck and licking me. I tightly grip her fur as I try to breath. I faintly here her bark some more, and feel someone move me so I'm cradled into their chest, Willow still pressed tightly to me.

"Baby, shh. It's alright. Breathe for me, please. Breathe so I can help." I close my eyes tightly and I slowly start breathing through my nose. Willow notices and nudges me more, in a happy manner.

I slow feel the pressure of the room and my chest lift off of me and I let out a small sob when I can breathe normally again. Willow barks, happily wags her tail, and licks my cheek as I hug her tighter. "Thank you, girl. Good girl, Willow."

I feel something scratchy gently tuck a piece of hair behind my ears and I look up to see Edward's worried face, his gloved hand hovering in the air. I look at it curiously as he says quietly, "I didn't want you to be cold."

I look back up at him as some more tears fall out. "Thank you," I whisper as strongly as I can and he hugs me closer in response.

"We love you so much. We are doing everything we can to find him, I swear. I made a promise the first day you came to live with us that I would protect you, and I will not break that promise now. What can I do to help? Please let me help you."

A small tear slips down my face as I look downwards. His words sounded so genuine, but so did they before they left. I look over at Willow to see her curled up at my feet, which are tucked close to my side. She lays her head on my leg and watches me closely, just like she always does after my panic attacks or nightmares. The weird thing is, she doesn't seem to mind Edward's presence. She isn't growling or glaring at him, she just watches me for any sign of discomfort.

"How can you help me when I don't know how to help myself?" I whisper quietly, more to myself than to him.

"Let me try," he says and gently grabs my hands. "Let me do anything to earn your trust and help you. Please."

I loose my tense stance and I fall into his chest as I cry silently. He hugs me close to his chest and gently lays his head on top of mine while murmuring sweet nothings into my ear.

When I am unable to cry anymore, and the only sound in the room is my soft, ragged breathing, Edward kisses my head hesitantly. "Tell me what's happened to you. To my sweet, strong Gracelyn. Tell me what you've been through so I can lessen your burdens."

I gently shake my head at the thought of reliving everything over again. Once is enough for a lifetime. "Get dressed, and we'll go on a walk. Fresh air might make you feel better."