Chapter 70

"Remember, slow and steady. One step at a time. Don't rush anywhere."

I nod and I grip Seth's arm as Dad puts his hand on my shoulder, making sure I don't run too fast.

"Let the girl have some freedom," Leah scoffs as she gets out of the car. "She's fine. She's got this. Right, Gracie?"

I shake my head, "I most absolutely don't "got this."' Leah rolls her eyes before strutting into the store. I take a deep breath before letting it out and slowing down. Just walk. I start walking and I move at regular speed. "I think my super speed is broken."

Dad laughs, "No, I think that it only works when you run. Go ahead and go off on your own with Leah. We're right behind you."

I nod and walk beside Leah with a grin. She sends me one back along with a fist bump and we slowly stroll through the aisles, throwing random candy and chocolates into the cart.

"Leah, can we get ice cream!"

She nods with a laugh, "Yeah, yeah, but chill. Remember, stay calm. Don't run. Only walk."

I nod with a smile, but as soon as we get closer and I can smell it, I start power walking towards it.

"Grace," I hear different people hiss and I laugh before grabbing a cookies in creme tub and skipping back to Leah proudly. See, people. I can skip at a normal pace.

Leah laughs and holds her hands up for a high five. I go to jump up to hit them, but suddenly Dad puts his hands on my shoulders and holds me down.

"Let's not jump quite yet, ok?"

I nod but turn with a smile. "I can walk and skip at a normal pace." He nods with a smile, "Yes, I can see. Now, let's try something else. What do you smell?"

"Lots of stuff. Why?"

"Does none of the smells make you feel weird? Hungry or wanting?"

I nod, "Yeah, I mean, that ice cream smells good and I want to eat it. And I smell a metal smell, but it makes me want to throw up," I gag at the end as I focus on that weird smell.

Seth laughs before pulling me into a hug and spinning me around in the air. "You hate blood. Yes! I knew it!"

"Hey, you told me you didn't care," I pout and he laughs again. "I don't, but this just makes it so much better!"

I glare at him and he grins at me. "Alright, well that is enough experimenting for today. I need to get home and check that hand out of yours. It looked like you sprained your hand," Dad says as he grabs my hand.

"It's not bad anymore. Just sore."

He nods with a smile as he studies it. "It looks to me as if you have some form of quick healing. Not as quick as a wolf, and not invincible like a vampire, but better than a normal human."

I grin as Seth says, "Thank goodness. With how often she gets hurt? Super healing is needed."

"I'm going to beat Emmett in an arm wrestle some day," I say matter of factly as we head to the checkout line. When we get closer I gag as the smell gets worse. I quickly cover my nose and mouth and try to hold my breath.

It smells like someone was stabbed to death and all their blood is flowing out of them. "I'm gonna be sick," I say lowly before hiding my face into Seth's chest. I breathe in as much as his smelly self as I can to try and keep down the sickness.

I gag again, "Nope. Seth you just made it worse."

I hear them laugh. "Ok, Grace. Me and you will head out to the car. Let's get some fresh air."