Chapter 64

The clearing stands still. Nothing but the fresh piles of snow on the forest floor is present until a small black, white, and brown puppy runs into the wide open field.

In a flash, Laurent speeds forward and grabs Willow. A painful, baby howl sounds through the air as he breaks her neck, grinning sadistically before throwing her to the side.

Multiple howls sound before the pack run into the clearing, surrounding Laurent. The vampire grins, "You think you can catch me? Go ahead and try."

The big, black alpha wolf Sam growls lowly before taking a step forward, fautering while the vampire starts laughing.

"How does it feel wolfie? Do you like my little mind tricks?"

Suddenly all the wolves stop and drop to the ground. In a flash, Laurent runs to each one of them and kills them, saving Seth for last. The vampire releases his hold on the wolves, Seth being the only living one to notice he was under his trick.

The wolf howls loudly, pain evident in his cry as he sees his dead pack members. Fury ripples through his body as he leaps towards the red eyed vampire. As Seth's teeth skim across the vampires head, Laurent wraps his arms around Seth's neck, crushing him in an instant.

Laurent turns around with a grin as he looks at the destruction he caused before looking at what seems to be straight at me.

"I'll see you soon, sweetheart. With the wolves gone, a little snow storm won't stop me."

I let out a loud scream as fear, pain, and ice fill my body. My eyes spill tears as I try to feel around for Willow. When I can't see or hear her, my chest closes in. They are dead. He killed them. He killed Willow.

"Grace! Grace breathe, it's ok. They're fine! They're at home. Willow's outside. She's coming in now. You've got to breathe, Gracelyn Lee!"

Shallow breaths leave me as I try to breathe, no air coming into my lungs. I feel something cold lift me up and hold me, but I flinch and try to move away, my already freezing body shivering from the intense cold all around me.

I close my eyes tightly as I stop struggling. Just kill me. Just kill me Laurent, I think as my shivering intensifies and my throat tightens even more.

"Grace, Grace breathe. Willow's right here Gracie. Feel how soft. Willow, help Grace."

I feel something wet and cold nudge the tears that are falling freely down my face. A tiny bark sounds through the air and I feel pressure on my stomach and chest, a furry head tucked into my neck.

I take quick breaths as I try to breathe again. "Shh. It's ok. Slow and steady," a different voice says calmly while wiping the perspiration off my forehead gently.

I breathe through my nose as my senses slowly come back. I hear another bark and I let out a sob as I see Willow worriedly nuzzling my neck. I wrap my arms around her fluffy form as I try to shake away the remains of the mind trick.

"Shh, it's ok, baby. It's ok. No one is hurt. He won't hurt you again, we promise." I force my eyes open and I see my dad and Edward's face right in front of me, Edward holding me as my dad crouches down in front of me. My family scattered across the room behind them, their faces all reading the same emotions. Worry, guilt, pain, sadness, protectiveness.

I sniffle again before more tears fall. Carlisle gently caresses my cheek as he wipes the fallen tears. A sob rises in my throat before I lean forward, falling into his arms.

He hugs me close as another sob racks through my body. Gently petting my head and murmuring into my ear.

"I know, love. It's going to be fine. We're here. He won't hurt you. Shh, it's ok baby."