Chapter 31

Vampires. My family are vampires. Never in my wildest dreams would I think that that was what they would be.

"Again, we are sorry we didn't tell you before, but we wanted you to stay as innocent as you could be without us telling you." I don't respond to my father, I just sit in shock.

When I shake out of it I say, "Why? Why did you adopt me? I am such an inconvenience, and I obviously am not supposed to know any of this, so why?" I try to think through all this, but I am unable to.

Seth rubs my arm and kisses the side of my head before saying quietly, "I have to go call back Sam. I'll be back." I nod, still not processing much more, and he leaves me alone with my family. Strangely, I'm not afraid. If they wanted to hurt me, they would have 15 years ago.

Besides, I love them. They wouldn't hurt me, I'm just worried about other humans even if they have sworn them off. My family sits all around me and Emmett pats my head. "Your not an inconvenience kid. You make our lives better."

I shake my head lightly and go to argue, but my mom holds my hand and says sternly, "No. No objections. When Seattle called and asked if we wanted to adopt you, we did so without much hesitation. You make us feel human, and we have enjoyed watching over you for all these years. We are so sorry we didn't tell you sooner, but we were, and still are, so afraid that you'll hate us for what we are."

I shake my head lightly, "I can't hate you. You're my family. I just need some time. I don't know what to think right now, and I really need some space." One by one my family leaves the room, and right before the door shuts all the way I hear a choking noise and something that sounds like, "My baby hates me."

Guilt suddenly washes over me, so I quickly say, "Mama?" My mom quickly opens the door and I can see that if she was human she would have been sobbing. "Yes, baby?"

I smile at her, "I love you. I'll be down in a minute." Esme walks over and kisses my head before leaving. I let my head fall back and I try to comprehend what I'm going to do.

I obviously can't stay here. I am the only one who eats, so I'm wasting their money, they have to try to control their thirst and not kill me 24/7, and with Seth around all the time, they will hate the smell. But then again, I don't have anywhere else to go. I could probably live with Seth, but now that I know about my family, I may not even be allowed to go to La Push again. I either lose my family, or my friends.

Oh gosh, Seth. I can't do this. I can't think. I turn over on my side, ignoring the pain shooting all around me as I hide my face into my pillow and quietly cry. I can't lose anyone, but I can't hurt anyone either. I let out a small sob, and I quickly try to muffle it.

I feel someone gently touch my shoulder, "Grace? Princess? Are you ok?" I shake my head, not looking over at him.

"Grace... Please look at me. I'm really sorry."

I sniffle and hold back my tears, "I know." I feel Edward move some hair away from my face and I peak over at him. He's sitting on the floor beside the bed with a bowl of ice cream and cookies on the side. I choke out a laugh and go to sit up, but Edward hovers over me, "Careful...."

I roll my eyes at his concern as I sit up and eagerly take the bowl from him. He pulls up the chair and sits beside me as I enjoy my dessert.

Before I finish completely I start twirling the spoon around as I say really, really quietly, "I'm sorry for being rude."

I hear the smile in his voice as he says, "What was that now? I couldn't hear you."

I turn and glare at him, "Do you want me to regret saying it?" Edward tries to hold back his smile, but fails miserably. "Sorry."