Chapter 16

After we get home and I put Grace to bed, we all talk about our situation. "She needs to know. We can't keep her in the dark." Rosalie argues.

"She can't know! The Voltori will find out and take her away from us. I won't let them take my daughter." Esme cries.

"If she doesn't know, then we can tell her we're her siblings. She's been asking that question for a while." Emmett says and I sigh.

"Edward wouldn't have his mate though. If we told her about us, then he could have his mate and you could have your sister. The Voltori is the only problem." Carlisle says.

I shake my head slightly, "I can't have her involved in this. In the Voltori. She has to be safe."

"She's already involved, Edward. Now, there's only the matter of when we're going to tell her, if we're going to tell her." Jasper says and I nod as does the others.

"We can tell her soon. We'll wait a little while, see if she's mature enough, but we'll need to tell her soon. We need to talk to the pack." Carlisle says.

"I don't want her near them," I growl lowly. I hear Emmett's laugher booming. "Your jealous she likes the mutt. Aww, is little Eddie scared of the competition?"

I growl at him, but the sound of thunder turns us away. We look out the window and see a storm coming in. "Your going to stay with her, Edward. She's going to be scared. This is her first big storm." Esme says and I nod.

I feel bad for her. She feels as though Grace likes me better than her and I can't help but feel guilty.

A few minutes later we hear a loud crack of thunder and a cry from upstairs. I hear Grace whimpers from upstairs and I hear her scream as another crack sounds through the sky. "Mama! Daddy!" She screams and Carlisle and Esme rush up the stairs, me right behind them.

I peak through the door and see Grace huddled into Carlisle and Esme's arms. She's crying into their arms, but not screaming anymore. Just jumping slightly when the thunder sounds. I walk through the door, making the door sound so my presence will be known.

Their heads turn my way and Grace jumps out of Carlisle and Esme's arms, to run into mine. I catch her and hold her close to my chest. She whimpers and holds on tight.

"Eddie. What's happening? Why is it loud and shaking?" I sit down on the floor and rock her.

"There's nothing to worry about princess. Thats just thunder. There is a storm, but it will be over soon." She holds on to me, jumping everytime she hears the thunder.

"Let's get a snack Grace. You can sleep on the couch if you want, tonight." Esme says and Grace nods.

I take her downstairs and she drifts off to sleep, but wakes up as soon as she sees the lightning and thunder. She cries silently, but I hold her close and try to make her feel safe.

We sit on the couch with the rest of the family crowding around. "I love you," She says to us and she curls up between me and Jasper.

We smile down at her sleeping form while Jasper is calming her down. As the storm grows stronger Jasper tries his hardest to calm her down, or make her feel safe. She hasn't woke up yet, so Jasper is doing a pretty good job. He's going to be weak in the morning, but we'll take him hunting to get his strength back up.

"Edward. She needs to wake up. She can't be afraid all her life." Carlisle says and I nod.

I look at Jasper and he nods and stops making her sleepy and calming her down. In a few seconds Grace starts to cry, so I pick her up and hold her. She cries harder and harder till I wake her up with a gentle shake. Her eyes flutter open and her deep blue eyes meet mine.

"Eddie," Grace mumbles. "I'm scared." I hold her close and she hides her face in the crook of my neck.

"I know, princess, but I'm here to protect you. Nothing will ever harm you, from now on."