Chapter 71

Seth's POV

I smile softly as I intently watch her breathing fall up and down. It's an instinct I've always had, watching her breathing. It used to be when she was small. I was always worried after hearing she was premature. I kinda grew out of it until hear family left. Then I started back again. It just started to drift away, but after thinking she was dead for so long, I can't help but watch her even closer.

The past week was the worst of my life. Even worse than my Dad dying. When that happened, I didn't even have time to breathe and comprehend everything that was happening since I turned a wolf that day. This time, I didn't know whether she was actually dead or not. I didn't have any distractions. It was the worst thing I've ever gone through.

I feel her stir as her heart starts to beat faster. She's having a nightmare or panic attack one. By the way her breathing is uneven, it's both.

Forgetting about the three other people in the car, I quickly unbuckle Grace and turn to be able to help her easier. I feel myself panic like I always do when she gets a panic attack, especially in her sleep.

"Grace. Gracie, wake up. Breathe, baby. I'm right here. You're ok, I promise. Breathe sweetheart," I say urgently as I softly rub her back, trying not to startle her as well as wake her up.

She jumps up with a gasp before coughing and trying to breathe in as much air as possible, her eyes looking around wildly, not settling on a certain place or thing.

"What's wrong with her?"

Ignoring James' question, I try to give her as much space as possible while rubbing her hand. "Shh, breathe Grace. Breathe, baby. Colors. Find colors, baby. Shh, shh. It's ok."

I feel her grip my hand harder. Of course it doesn't hurt me, but it's still crazy to feel how much stronger she is than before.

"Dark," she gasps and Leah quickly rolls down the tinted windows. She suddenly breathes in the fresh air and starts to stop searching around wildly.

"Blue," she mumbles. I pull her closer to me as I rub her back. "Good. Good girl. What else? What else do you see, baby?"

"Green. Trees."

"That's it," I praise quietly as I turn my body to face her. "And the blue is the sky. See, that's it. Breathe, you're ok. I promise."

She looks up at me and her eyes spill over with tears. My heart crumbles as I pull her into my arms, a very weird kola hug forming between the two of us, but I don't care and neither does she.

"He was right," she whimpers quietly as tears slowly slide on to my shoulders. "Everyone hates me and I am better dead. I would rather be dead than be here like this, Sethy."

My throat closes up and I close my eyes tightly as they burn, a tear slipping out no matter how much I try to fight it back. "Don't," my voice cracks pathetically. "Don't say that. You can't say that. I love you. You can't leave me, Gracie. I need you."

"You don't need me," she cries. "No one else needs me. I wish I didn't wake up from that coma. You would be happier without me. Like the pack is."

"No," I say fiercely as I hug her closer, tears slipping out of my eyes. "Stop talking. You're the best thing that's happened to me and everyone else. You can't wish these things. I need you. You can't leave me. Please stop thinking this stuff," my voice cracks as tears stream down my face. She can't think about this. She can't want to die. After everything we've been through, my baby can't leave me. I need her.

"I don't wanna be here Sethy," she cries and I let out a small sob, obvious from the worried looks the other passengers are sharing, only Leah and Emily hearing what's happening since James is sleeping in the passenger side.