Chapter 36

"Mooooom! We're hooommeee!!" I say in a sing song voice as I walk through the door.

In a flash, Esme is standing in front of me smiling her motherly smile I love so much. She hugs me gently and wraps her arm around my shoulders and steers me further into the house. "So, how was it?"

I lean closer to her side, "Bad enough for me to ask if I can stay home again. Please. I'll do anything." I look up at her with pleading eyes, begging for her to reconsider.

"Aww, come on. It couldn't have been that bad. What happened?"

I go to tell her, but Emmett joins our walk to the kitchen by wrapping his arm around my other shoulder. "Besides our little Grace yelling at an entire class before twelve o'clock? Nothing. It's not too bad there."

Esme gaps at me, her mouth hanging out and I, ashamedly, look down and keep walking.

"Gracelyn Lee Cullen! Why on earth did you yell at them!"

I wince at my full name being said and go to answer, but Edward comes to my side. "Esme, let's let Grace change and put her stuff up, alright?" I shoot him a thankful glance and quickly give him a hug before running upstairs to my room.

Edward's Pov

I watch Grace go up the stairs before turning back to Esme who is still shocked to say the least. "Esme, this is going to take a toll on her more than we thought." I say quietly, but soon all my siblings crowd around.

"I told you. She's going to have a hard time, but she'll be ok. I see a complication later on, but can't tell what it is yet. It's too far away," Alice states.

"Why did she yell at those poor kids!" Esme says exasperated again and now, even I am trying to hold back my laugh.

Jasper's grin slips out as he says, "It has been called to our attention that our Grace was looking out for us. Told all the kids in her class, and I quote, "None of my siblings will "hook up" with you nimrods."

It seems as if the kids were talking about us. You know how they are for the first week or so, but Grace didn't and she blew up as soon as she had to change classes the first time."

Esme's lips twitch slightly and she covers her mouth, "This isn't funny. This is not funny. She will have no friends now!" I go to respond, but a sounds comes from upstairs.

"Oh no. She's playing Beethoven."

I wince slightly as Rose says lowly, "She had a really bad day. You heard what everyone was saying about her. What if she heard someone?"

They all turn my way and I try to see if anything she's thinking is standing out, but all I hear is notes and a melody. "I can't tell. She chose the perfect distraction to keep her mind off of everything."

Since Grace has never been good at playing Beethoven, she avoids the pieces all together, until a time like this. Grace doesn't cry unless it's important, so playing Beethoven is her way of crying. She only plays it when something is truly bothering her, to keep her from breaking down in tears. She doesn't know we notice this pattern, but we have.

"Well something's wrong. Has been all day, but I can't tell what it is. Maybe we should let Seth know. She might not want to go over today." I nod my head at Jasper and run to get the phone.

"Yo, Clearwater speaking."

"Hey, Seth. I don't know if Grace is going to be able to come tonight."

"What? Why not!"

"She's playing Beethoven."

"Oh. Crap."

"I'm gonna head over there later like we planned and I'll ask then. Watch her for me, ok?"