Chapter 72

My eyes flutter open as my throat closes up and starts to itch. I let out a string of coughs, but no matter how hard I try to relieve the strain on my throat, it doesn't go away.

The door swings open as Seth and my family come in. Their eyes widen at the sight of me. I feel one hundred times worse than I did, so no telling how bad I look.

Seth comes over and climbs into the hospital bed with me. I cuddle up close to him as he hugs me to him, rubbing my back gently. No matter how much Seth smells, I would take that over Seth not being here. He's my world.

"Grace, baby. How do you feel?"

"My throat hurts," I say in a raspy voice to my father. Seth gently pats down my hair as he tries to comfort me. "Do you want some water?"

I shake my head and he nods with a small, sad sigh. "Grace, we have a surprise," Mom says with a small smile and I open my eyes to see our cousin Elizar. 

I can feel a smile form on my face, despite the pain in my throat. "Hello, Hermosa. I heard you're not feeling very well. Mind if I try to figure out how to help you?"

I shake my head as Cousin Elizar comes forward, another string of coughs rising. He gently places his hand on my forehead and starts concentrating.

After a few minutes has passed, he opens his eyes and smiles down at me before turning to my family.

"Good news. Gracelyn is quite the gifted vampire."

We all watch him with confused eyes. Everyone but Edward, who has the biggest smile on his face as he looks down at me.

"What do you mean?" Seth says in confusion, tightening his grip on me slightly.

Elizar smiles brightly. "I never even knew this was a power, much less something that could be so complex."

"Well, what is it," Seth growls in frustration. I let out another string of coughs as I lay my head on his shoulder and weakly nudge him.

"Be nice, Sethy," I mumble weakly. Seth kisses my head in response before everyone turns their attention back to our cousin.

Elizar smiles excitedly, "Our beautiful Gracelyn has the best gift of us all. Humanity. I never thought this would be a gift for our kind, but here she is."

"What does that mean for Grace?" Emmett asks as we all share glances. Humanity? But I'm not a human. So what do I even do with a power called humanity?

"That's what makes Grace part human. Yes, it could have something to do with the fact that you tried to extract most of the venom, but I believe this gift is what gives Grace the ability to eat, sleep, cry, and feel pain. If she did not aquire this gift, I believe Grace would be full vampire, yet not as advanced as we are. She would be weaker.

"But with her having so much life, and humanity in her as a full human, that carried on with her now."

I take a deep, painful breath before croaking out, "But what can I do? Don't I have a power?"

Multiple chuckles sound from around me. Elizar smiles as he gently pets my hair before kissing my forehead. "You live. That is your power. You get to have all the joys of being a human. And, if I am correct, with enough time, I believe you will be able to transition from full human, to half vampire."

I feel myself brighten and I look up at Seth to see him staring down at me with the same enthusiasm.

"I can be human again!"

Elizar chuckles, "Well, for a moment. Not permanently. Now, I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I do know powers can grow and develop, so it is a possibility. At the moment, we need to focus more on your health rather than your ability, ok Hermosa?"