Chapter 73

The next morning, I wake up to Seth gently poking my cheek. Peering my eyes open, Seth grins brightly.

"Hey, beautiful. I'm fixing to go downstairs to get some breakfast. Want to come join me? Everyone is waiting for you. I think they pulled out some games or something for us to do today."

I give Seth a small nod, fire scorching my throat so much, that I am too afraid to speak. I'm feeling worse and worse as the hours go by. I've lost at least twenty pounds in the past day. A while ago, I would have loved this. Eat whatever you want, and lose twenty in a day. Not now. No one is telling me what's happening, but I know.

I'm not drinking blood like I'm supposed to. Not only that, but I'm always tired and cold. I'm dizzy at the slightest movements, and am so weak I can't stand. I'm losing my own blood, because I'm not drinking any.

It's scary, but I'm not going to drink blood, animal or not. Maybe Dad can give me a transfusion in I need it. If not, then I'm going to keep holding on. At this rate, I'm not sure how much longer I'll have to last. It's bad to think this way, and I'm going to really miss everyone. My family, Seth, the pack and Emily. But I'm not going to go against something I think is wrong just to keep myself alive. I would live in regret.

Seth lifts me into his arms and carries me out of the room as Willow trails behind us. Seth heads towards the kitchen, but I really just want to lay on the couch and sleep. It's not like I can tell him anyways.

Edward suddenly flashes into the room and stops us, giving me a smile that I try to return, but I know I just grimaced.

"Come on, I'll take you to the living room. Then you can tell me how you're feeling, ok?" I nod thankfully as Edward takes me from Seth and places me beside him and the rest of my siblings on the couch.

I feel Jasper throw a blanket around me and I hold it close as I shiver slightly.

"What hurts?" Edward asks softly as he holds my hand. I turn to face him. Honestly? Everything. I think with a small chuckle, but no emotion showing on my face.

Edward smiles and nods for me to continue. My throat is...

"On fire? Yeah, we understand," Edward says with a small, sympathetic smile.

"Edward, this is worse for her," Jasper says, bringing everyone's attention to him. "Our thirst is pain for our vampire selves. This thirst hurts Grace's vampire and human part."

Jasper turns to me and gives me the best smile he can. "I'm going to try to soothe the pain, ok? Tell Edward if it helps."

I nod and Jasper holds my hand as he concentrates. I hopefully stare back at him, and after a little bit, I feel the pain in my throat lessen.

It's working. Not enough to have Jazz lose his energy for, but it helped.

"What are we doing?" Seth asks as he sits down in front of me, pressing his back against my legs to keep me warm, as he shoves food into his mouth.

"Trying to see if Jasper can lessen Grace's thirst. She says it's not enough to worry about, Jazz."

I give Jasper a small smile and he kisses my cheek in return. I turn to Edward and think, I'm not really hungry for blood, am I? I don't want it, so how come you said it's thirst?

"It's not, Grace. That's just what happens when we're thirsty. We have immense pain in our throats. Like white, hot, branding irons being shoved down our throats. That's what you feel, right?"

I nod quickly before grabbing my head and closing my eyes as the world starts spinning. I hate vertigo.

Seth rubs my leg soothingly and I take a deep breath before slowly opening my eyes. I see everyone watching me worriedly and I close my eyes again. Stop looking at me like that.