Chapter 38

Edward's Pov

I am alone. I have lost everything. Everything.

I let out a pained sigh and hug Grace closer, hearing her thoughts for the first time in two weeks. How she managed to fool everyone is beyond me, but I would do anything to go back and fix this.

"Baby, shh. Baby come on. You're ok, Princess. You're not alone. We're right here," my voice cracks as I am dry sobbing at the sigh in front of me.

I notice my family doing the same, all spread around the room, but I can't comprehend anything besides Grace. Her thoughts, her cries, her music. Everything is so loud and painful.

As Grace let's out another sob, she curls tighter into a ball and fists her hands into her hair. "Love, please. You're ok. We love you. We're never leaving you. Open your eyes, Grace. Tell us what's wrong. Let us help you."

After three hours of me holding her and telling her I love her, she passes out. I look over her closely and snap my venom filled eyes towards my family. "We are not going to school today. We're not going to the Seth or the pack about this until we know what they did."

They all nod in response and all slowly leave the room except for me, Jasper, and Emmett. Carlisle is with Esme as she cooks breakfast, Rose is worriedly pacing by the window, and Alice is sitting near Rose thinking every possible future for Grace.

Emmett leans against the wall as Jasper slowly sinks into a chair beside where me and Grace are. "There's so much pain, Edward. Gosh, I feel like I'm suffocating there is so much."

I glance over at Jasper who is holding his head in pain and I hug Grace closer to my chest. I tuck fallen hairs behind her ears and sit her up more. "Grace. Grace, wake up. Wake up, Grace." I say when I see her starting to get another nightmare, and because I want to talk to her.

After me trying to wake her, and Jasper making her feel better, she wakes up slowly, her eyes swollen and red. I sit her up a bit, "Hey, baby." I say with a sad smile. She closes her eyes tightly before saying hoarsely, "I'm alright. Thank you."

She goes to move but I keep her curled up next to me. "I have to get ready for school," she whines, but I gently shake my head. "You're not going to go to school today, baby. We're going to have a skip day." She sniffles and nods before whispering quietly, "I have to tell you?"

"Darlin', we're really, really worried. We haven't said anything for two weeks, but after last night we really need to know what's going on so we can help you."

Grace breaths raggedly before nodding, a sob leaving her body. I hug her tighter as she whispers, "Can I just think it and you tell the others? I don't wanna say it over and over."

"Of course," I say and kiss her head, "Tell me everything." And as soon as she grips my neck in a hug, I see her thoughts coming so fast, all at once that I flinch from the impact. "Princess, try to think of it one at a time. Beginning to end."

Grace's Pov

I squeeze Edward's neck tighter and, per request, start off with my first day of school. I show him every thought, every word said to me, every action, everything. The more I show, the more tears fall, making my eyes even worse than before. Finally, I get to my nightmare last night, but I falter, holding back my thoughts. Edward hugs me tighter, so I slowly break the wall and let him see the rest of my thoughts.

By the end, I am squeezing as tight as a cobra, tears are slowly streaming down my face, I am shaking slightly, and my eyes hurt from crying. "Shh, shh. I've got you. You're not leaving us. You're safe. No one is leaving you. Shh, love. You're ok. Come on, let's get you ready for today then we can go downstairs."