7

Chapter 7: Safe

═════ 🌙 ═════

~(Y/N)~

This was the last place I wanted to be. But with the house lying vacant with belongings still inside. I knew there were a few things worth looking for. My mother had sent me here so I could find something dad took from her.

I had thought people would've gotten rid of everything and new people would've moved in. But who would want to move in? It was in a bad part of the city. A few of the homes already around the neighborhood laid empty.

To my right my lover Levi stood looking the place up and down. With a sigh, I press on towards the front door, when I reached it, I stopped. I know that behind this door I would no longer get hurt, that the thing I came home too was gone now. But still being here, remember all that had happened here, was tough. "Maybe we can come back another day. Your mom can come get the damn thing herself." Levi says.

I knew Levi was worried I might have a breakdown in here, I was going to try my hardest not to. I pivot my head to the side to glance back at him. "I'd rather get it done with. Now get over here- or are you afraid dust will get on you?" I tease.

He flashes an unamused glare my way before huffing softly. Slowly he makes his way up to me and stands behind me. The door was unlocked as usual- not that it was really the safest option. Pushing the door inward I look into the dark, rather messy living room. I guess after I left he really made a mess of things. To my right were the stairs, the same stairs I would run up occasionally to get away from my abusive father only to fail and enter a horrid beating or get tossed into the closet by the kitchen.

"So, this is the house you grew up in before your mom left you?" Levi asks as he cautiously makes his way through the living room.

I shook my head. "No, that house is the house my mom is currently living in. This is the house my father and I moved into after my mother came back and kicked us out." I explain.

"Tch, some mother," he mutters.

I shrug my shoulders as I start making my way to the kitchen. To my right again was a narrow hallway that led to a bathroom and on the left wall was a closet. Walking over to it I open it and bend down to my knees. I hid a lot of things in here, I wouldn't be surprised if what my mother was looking for was in here.

Sifting through the shoes at the bottom I pulled out a small wooden box. Levi soon caught up and watched as I flipped the top open revealing a few different items. I pulled out the USB drive and held it up. "That's what she's looking for? What is it?" he asks.

"It's a USB drive, it contains her wedding photos with my dad," I say as I close the box and toss it back into the closet.

"How'd you know it'd be in there?" he then asks me.

As I shut the door I look to him. "I spent a lot of time in there. Plus my dad wasn't the one to take it. It was the only thing I had left of my mother." I explain.

He looks at me slightly confused but he soon connected the dots. "Your dad locked you in there?" he asks, his face contorted in slight disgust. I looked away from him and back at the closet door. I spent a good portion of my time in that closet, hiding from him, it serving as my punishment.

I nod my head and walk past him back to the living room. I head for the staircase and start walking up them. I guess while we are here I should look around make sure I didn't leave anything else behind in this horrible place. To be honest, being here just made me feel a little sick. It felt like my gut was sinking every minute we stayed, but I wanted to be sure there wasn't anything left I needed. I'm sure if I had come back sooner the feeling would've been worse, and if I was alone it'd probably be worse. But I knew Levi would be here to take me out if I couldn't continue on.

Coming up to my bedroom door, Levi followed close behind. Walking into the bedroom that was blank, I looked around first before walking in, I head to the closet. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else important to me hiding here. As I whip around to face Levi, he looked around taking in the view. "Rather dark in here, was it always like this?" he asks.

I nod my head. "Let's just say I had to sacrifice a lot of things to make sure we didn't get kicked out of this house. Not that I would've minded, but I'd rather be here than on the street-" I stop myself suddenly remember Levi's past from readings and him telling me bits.

"It's fine, I understand. You did what you had to, to survive." He says.

Nodding silently I walk over to him. "Well, there's nothing else here," I say before slipping my hand into his.

~Levi~

As she began to leave the room, I stayed behind for a moment taking in all that was left here before she yanked me out of the room. I knew she felt uncomfortable here, even if she tried her hardest not to show it in front of me. Hell, I wouldn't blame her if she told her mother no to not come here. I could tell by the way she was tugging me along that she wanted to get out of there quickly. When we got out into the living room I turn my head to the right looking around one last time.

I had noticed old bloodstains on the floor, assuming they were from that time and her father just didn't bother to clean up after his messes. Sick bastard. I shake my head and turn away, the one place that bothered me the most about this place was that closet she supposedly would be placed in as a 'time out', it made me wonder what else her shitty father did to her other than just whip and shove her in confined spaces for hours on end. Did he starve her? Degrade her? I shook my head again questioning why I was thinking more about it. The guy was dead and (Y/N) was done with this place. Beyond done.

As I made my way to the front door I turn back only for a second more. (Y/N) had already let go of my hand and quickly walked to her car leaving me behind. This is should've been the place she felt safe. But it wasn't, this wasn't home, this was a prison. I was glad she made it out of this shithole. With that, I shut the door behind me and make my way to her car where I got in and we made our way home. This little adventure into the house made me realize more of how strong (Y/N) was, even when we first met.

As far as I knew, everyone feared me because they knew I could beat the shit outta them. (Y/N) wasn't like that, and at times it was downright annoying, but I think that was one of the reasons I was attracted to her. No matter how many times I was mean to her she didn't let it get to her. Sure there were times I spooked her, but somehow she still managed to stay with me. And now all I wanted for her was to have a home, one she could feel safe in, and not feel like she was in a prison that brought out her worst fears.

I looked over at her as she drove keeping her eyes on the road. Her face was stern, like she was constipated or something, darting my head down slightly I smirk to myself. No matter what time we were in, she was my safe place.

═════ 🌙 ═════