39

Chapter 39: To the Other Side of the Wall

═════ 🌙 ═════

~Levi~

I awoke feeling the bed starting to shake, my eyes opened turning to my right I find (Y/N) tossing and turning in her sleep. Muttering 'no' over and over, tears pooling at the corner of her eyes.

Sitting up I turn to her, grabbing her shoulders I shake her hoping she'd wake. When her eyes shot open she looked at me, she looked at me sadly before rushing into my arms hiding her face in my chest.

My arms wrap around her feeling her breath erratically. "Shh, you're okay. He can't hurt you anymore." I remind her.

Bringing her head up to look at me, tears seep from her eyes. Cupping her face in my hands with my thumbs I wipe the tears away. "Deep breaths," I tell her. Her lips form an 'o' shape as she slowly inhales then exhales.

Her eye darted across my face before I pull her back in to hold her a little longer. I knew eventually her memory of Andrew would fade, and the nightmares would eventually come to an end. But I did my best to comfort her after these nightmares.

Pulling her face back again, something came in mind to say. Looking at her seriously I watched more tears fall from her eyes. "You're gonna get through this you hear me? You wanna know why?" I ask her.

She slowly nods her head. "Because you're strong, you've gone through so much pain and it's made you one of the strongest women I've ever known. And because I'll be right here helping you...and loving you through it. I'll make sure you never feel that kind of pain again, I swear." I proclaim.

I watched as her face slowly lit up, and her lips formed a soft smile. Hiding her face in my neck now she sniffles softly. "Y-you know... Hanji and E-eren seemed shocked when I told them you proposed today," she says.

"Oh yeah?" I ask.

"Yeah, they made it seem like you were incapable of being romantic...or loving someone enough to do that," she mutters.

"Not surprising," I answer plainly.

She leans back once again and places her hand on my face. Leaning in she plants a soft kiss on my mouth before lying back down, I lie with her on my side and wrap my arms around her. We both fall back asleep, after that she didn't have another nightmare that night.

~The Next Day~

~(Y/N)~

In the stables getting my horse ready, I found Levi coming up to his horse, gently petting along its muzzle. Pulling on the reigns a little I lead the horse out into the main courtyard. Levi followed behind along with the rest of the squad. I go and meet with Hanji as I slowly mount my horse, sticking my foot into the stirrup I tug at the reigns again causing the horse to move forward towards the gate.

When we were all ready we made our way through Trost, traveling through wall Maria we eventually made it to Shiganshina, the place was still in ruins as expected given that it had only been a few days since citizens were cleared to resettle.

After reaching the blocked gate leading out beyond the wall. We had to use the lifts due to the fact we couldn't use the outer gate anymore. When the squad along with the horses reached the bottom on the other side we began to make our way south.

There was a lot of nothing for a while, catching up with Hanji and Levi there were others in front of them probably to warn us if there were any titans ahead. "Looks like your prediction was right, most of the titans were in wall Maria... seems we killed most of them within a year," Levi tells her.

He turns his head. "Then let's proceed shall we?" she asks.

Up just a little further a flare had been shot. So there is one out here! "Everyone be careful!" Connie calls.

In no time we came up to it, it was laying flat on the ground, and behind it had left a trail from when it was dragging itself. Won't it move?

"It seems to have traveled a long way!" I hear Sasha say. We didn't stick around once Eren and Armin came up.

"He's an Eldian just like us who was sent to 'heaven'...we're getting closer," Eren says.

I kept an eye on him, something about him had changed, whether it was because he was unlocking so many memories or what. But we all left the titan behind seeing that it would do no harm. We carried on further until there was a large L-shaped wall to our right. "This is where they turned Eldian's into titan!" Eren tells us.

We rode past that soon coming to a cliff, yanking the reigns I stop my horse just in time, looking up I find that we had reached the ocean. "Oh wow," I whisper. There was nothing for miles but water, we all found our way down to the shoreline.

Allowing the horses to rest we all walked around. Stepping into the water I smile and lookout. I haven't been to see the ocean in forever. The squad members began playing in the water, Jean decided to drink it but then quickly spit it out. "It's so salty," he says.

Turning to Hanji she seemed to be fixing her hair as she looked out in awe. "Wow! Wait- there's something there!" she says as she goes to grab it.

Levi stood as far from the water as possible. "Hanji, that could be poisonous, be careful! And (Y/N) you're getting all wet!" he scolds.

Smiling I was tempted to splash water at him, but then he'd be grouchy. Turning away I then watch Mikasa walk up to Armin who was heading towards Eren. Turning back I walk over to Levi who was tending to his horse again. "Come on Levi, come dip your feet in the water," I tell him.

"I'd rather not, you go have fun and keep an eye on Hanji I don't need her getting bit by something," he says.

Chuckling softly I turn and head over to Hanji, she was collecting shells. "This is so cool! Look at this (Y/N) she says as she hands me the shells she's grabbed. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, as they played in the water there was laughter and peace that flooded over them. My eyes fell onto Eren then, watching as he pointed out further.

"If we kill the enemy, on the other side of the ocean... will we finally be free?" I hear Eren ask rather loudly. Pivoting my head slightly I look out wondering what he meant by that, but then again it must be what he knew from his memories, that there was someone on the other side of the ocean, who was a threat to us. But who?

═════ 🌙 ═════