42

Chapter 42: Military Volunteers

═════ 🌙 ═════

~Levi~

After greeting the Marleyan fleet, Hanji and I were meeting with the two who saved our lives from the captain of their fleet. Yelena and Onyankopon. We were going over their technology, and Hanji was getting a little too excited.

Yelena told us their army, and air force which made us look like a bunch of boy scouts. To me, it felt like they were just pulling our legs here with this crap. "The Marleyans are that powerful...it's been at least a year, is there any reason why we haven't been directly attacked yet?" Hanji asks, she had a nervous smile.

"Two reasons... firstly, even with our newer weaponry, it is still hard to land on Paradis Island because of the mindless titans that were placed here in the past. They were supposed to confine the Eldians within the walls but over time just became an obstacle and protected the Eldians from Marley." Yelena explains.

"Looks like it...that would have made him laugh," I mutter.

"But soon, it'll be sunrise and the titans will be active again, the fact that we're sitting here having tea so peacefully must mean." Yelena trails off. "You've killed all the titans, haven't you?" she asks.

Glancing at Hanji, I knew we wouldn't want to give out that piece of information in case they were going to relay that back to Marley. If that happened they'd only send in more or worse. "And if that were the case, you're gonna try and relay that bit of information back to Marley aren't you?" I ask.

"Not at all, in fact, I find it incredible, beyond what I expected," Yelena says.

"What's the second reason?" Hanji asks.

Yelena smiles gently and leans forward in her seat. "The second reason is because Marley is about to engage in an all-out war with several countries, so they don't have time to worry about Paradis Island right now. Besides, don't you have good reasons to start a war with them? I mean you defeated their celebrated warriors, the Beast Titan, and the Armored Titan." she stops and takes a sip of her tea. "Not to mention you stole the Female Titan and the Colossal Titan which were considered the strongest weapons," she says.

Taking another sip she smiles at Hanji then at me. "Marley has a number of enemies, so I'm sure you'd find plenty of allies rather quickly." she finishes.

"So I'm guessing you two are from a country Marley attacked? And you're getting revenge by infiltrating and spying on them?" Hanji asks.

Yelena and Onyankopon both looked at seriously now, their looks signaled Hanji was on the dot with her assumption. "Wait, I actually got it didn't I?" she asks.

"I wouldn't exactly call us spies...more or less our homeland has been stripped by Marley. We've been forced to fight their battles, we are powerless and became hopeless to rise against them." Yelena answers. "But that was until he showed us another way." she finishes. Looking down at her hands she smiles gently. "Although he was a titan referred to as the devil by Marley and the rest of the world, I saw him differently...to me he was a God, even when we were powerless he gave us hope," she states. Then looking up at Hanji seriously she leans back in her seat. "We shot down our superiors at the orders of Zeke Jaeger, we are military volunteers from the Anti-Marley faction." she finishes.

~3 Days Later~

~(Y/N)~

Coming through the gate, the soldiers came running in, first Hanji then Levi followed by the rest of the squad and some new folk as well. But my attention was turned to Levi as I ran up to his horse. As he jumps off his horse I jump into his arms hugging him tightly. Levi's arms wrap around me holding me tightly as he lifts me slightly off the ground.

I was glad he was back in one piece. "How did everything go? Did they show?" I ask. Levi nods and lets me down, taking my hand he led me away from the courtyard.

"They're letting us rest a bit but I will need to go to the capital to discuss some things with the Queen and Zackly. Apparently, Zeke Jaeger wants to save Eldians so he's sent some Anti-Marley soldiers here to aid us," he explains.

"Do you believe them?" I ask.

Levi shrugs his shoulders. "I'm willing to work with them, but it doesn't necessarily mean I trust them at the moment," he explains. Nodding he and I head to our bedroom, once there I was greeted by Dutchess's meowing before she jumped into Levi's arms purring like crazy.

Smiling I stroke her back while Levi patted her gently. "She missed you as well," I mutter.

"I can tell...so how are the plans on the house doing so far?" he asks.

"Things are running smoothly, as I explained in the letter about our finances all we have to worry about is having money for livestock. I'll be giving half of our stocks for him to sell when we start growing things and getting food from the animals we buy." I explain.

"When does Flegel plan on getting to work?" he asks.

"Beginning of next week," I answer.

Levi simply nods and smirks gently. "Seems like you're getting things done as well," he says.

"Yeah, I plan to be helping them often," I tell him.

"Well don't work yourself too hard...you know...now that I think about it, come with me to the capital," he says.

Confused I step back. "Why?" I ask.

"There is a place I want to show you...underground," he says.

I remembered now from my past studies, he was going to show me his home, where he grew up. "A-are you sure?" I ask.

"No one will hurt you, I'll make sure of it. But since you showed me your childhood home, I want to show you mine...after the meeting of course," he says. I nod in agreement deciding to go with him, although I don't know how he'd be after visiting, or even during. It was a dark time for him.

~Time Skip~

After the meeting, Levi and I headed for the flight of stairs leading to the underground city here in Mitras. Taking his hand he led me down into the darkness until we were met with lights at the ceiling of the city and many buildings crammed together.

We had to be careful due to the fact that the stairs were old and pieces of the railing were broken off. First Levi took me to one of the homes he stayed with when his two best friends were alive. Isabel and Farlan, the place had been abandoned by the looks of it, not many people were down here. "After Historia was crowned..after you left, Historia and I gathered a few people and orphaned children. As of now, they are living on a farm used by her royal family's funding along with the assets we took from the politicians that were after us," he explains.

As we walked inside the house I looked around. "During the time I was staying here, I was a thug. My partner was Farlan for some time. Then we met a girl Isabel who came to our doorstep hiding from some thugs." he explains.

"I know... you forget I researched you guys in the future and well...here too I guess," I mutter.

"Then you'd know where I was born," he mumbles.

Nodding my head I head for the door. "It was a local brothel," I answer. With that, we headed down to the local brothel in which Levi talked to the man at the desk, he was old. He had asked the man to show us "Olympia's" old room. I guess they had fake names when seeing clients.

As we head back to the old room it was dark and dusty. "It seems they finally took care of her body," he mutters. His eyes were on the bed and I look there as well before placing my hand on Levi's shoulder.

"I'm assuming you never found anything on my father did you?" he asks.

I shook my head. "All I found was that he was a random client," I answer.

"Hmm, and it's not like they keep detailed records here either of their visitors," he says. After spending a little more time there we finally decided to head back home after having enough with the trip down memory lane. 

═════ 🌙 ═════