108

Having to arrive back to Hogwarts was nerve-wracking

Whether Severus was able face Eleanor again after knowing how she felt about him or knowing that he's practically lying her to face, the timing of everything was terrible and he was short on it.

There were only a few months left until Dumbledore will have him partake in his own murder before Draco Malfoy felt forced upon doing so.

While preparing for the upcoming months, he had to teach lessons and act like nothing was affecting him.

Grading anything was the least of his concern when he had so much on his mind as it was.

Severus felt it in his soul, the pit of guilt and brokenness that shriveled him up like a dying rose.

There was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't care less about himself when he was busy being anxious about everything else. He still had to get in contact with Ted King about being a safeguard for the Potters while Severus directed chaos away from them, but he also figured he'd rather have Dumbledore communicate with him since he's the one that put him in the Order in the first place.

In the mean time, Severus had make a separate plan for not just Eleanor's but everyone's safety.

"Training?" Eleanor asked back to Severus as they entered the empty Library the following Saturday morning; the day after their arrival. "You gave me that spell didn't you? I thought I was all set."

It was Severus that walked around book aisles. His eyes grazed over book titles faster than the rushed pace he was keeping at.

"What's wrong with a little more practice? Besides, I'd like to see if you know how to use it before... well, you know? You use it." Severus questioned back to her while he began to pull books out of shelves as he passed them.

Eleanor said nothing in response.

Instead she glanced at the lesson books he was grabbing off of bookshelves. She managed to steal one from his arm.

"Defensive Spells for Beginners..." Eleanor read outloud before she quirked an eyebrow up at him, "If this is supposed to be for me I'm a little offended."

He couldn't help but to let out a small chuckle, "No, it's not for you, but if you want to challenge yourself go for it."

Instantly Eleanor's jaw dropped at his smug comment. Severus sent her an amused smirk before he took the book from her hands incase she wanted to hit him with it.

She tried to push away the smile that wanted to form on her lips, "You're such an arse."

"And so I've been told since the beginning." His voice trailed off quietly as he picked up another book to add to his stack of spell books.

"What year are you giving defensive spell books to anyhow?" Severus heard her ask.

He shrugged hesitantly before mumbling under his breath, "Uh, first year."