29

"Eleanor

"Eleanor."

She flinched

"Eleanor." The voice whispered a bit louder.

Her eyes open, looking around frantically, she could barely read the clock that sat beside her bed, it was so blurry, but she guessed it had been no later than three in the morning. She groaned closing her eyes and turning over to her side.

"Eleanor." Said the voice again, this time when her eyes shot open her face was met with one in front of her own.

It was James.

Eleanor choked out a scream, sitting up and pressing herself against her bed frame. The ghost of James potter tried to calm down his sister by raising his hand in the air in surrender.

"Shhhh!" He said, "Quiet!"

Eleanor felt her body shake and her eyes flinched as James came closer to her, his figure tall and leaned against her nightstand. "Its alright."

"James?!" She managed to say, covering her mouth with her hands.

The figure nodded his head in return pressing his finger to his lips.

"I dont have much time," he said, his voice was his own but had an echo like sound to it. "But I just wanted to talk."

Eleanor had tears that ran down her face, "Is it really you?" She whispered

He nodded his head again with a small smile, "Its me."

She felt his hand wrap around her own and broke down into tears. Jumping out of bed and wrapped her arms around her brother tightly, like she never wanted to let go. He still smelled like dads cologne. It was a whiskey pine smell that was too close to home.

"I've missed y-you so much!" She cried more, her heart felt like it dropped and throat began to sore as she gasped for heavy breaths.

"I know." He whispered, "You're so strong, Eleanor. I'm so proud of you. For taking as good care of yourself and Harry."

She said nothing, only holding him as close as she can.

"I wanted to let you in on something." He stated and pulled her away by her shoulders. Eleanor looked up to him as tears kept falling down her warm cheeks. "You're not the only one that is shielding him from evil, Lily and I are as well.. you're never alone." He says sincerely, "You dont think Harry did all of the fighting with Voldemort last year, did you?" He asked giving Eleanor hope that he and lily were the ones who saved him. "I just dont want you to feel that you're alone in this battle, El."

She nodded her head crying into his chest, than he has heard her whisper something that deeply broke his heart, "Why did you leave me?"

"I never left, I'd never leave my baby sister." He used the sleeve of his shirt to wipe away her tears "I told you I'd always be here for you, Eleanor you may not see me but I am. We're always going to stick together, that's what we do."

It broke her heart to see her brother as he stared down at his baby sister all grown up, but he can see she aged with pain and the world on her back. It pained him dearly.

"Before I go," he replied, "keep your chin up, as high as you can, and... dont do anything dumb while I'm gone."

"How could I? You're bringing all the dumb with you, James." She laughed into her tears. James gave her a final smile before bringing her into his arms.

"I've missed you." He says but just before she could say it back it felt like she was sucked away from her reality as her eyes shot open. She laid in bed. It had been a dream.

"James!" She called hoping he would have popped out of the darkness of her room.

Her heart broke knowing he wasnt there, it felt so real, she could have sworn she heard him loud and clear, she ended up laying back down from sitting up. But she couldn't manage to find a way to sleep as the very familiar sent of cologne never left her senses.

"Did you hear the news?" Mcgonagall had asked Eleanor that morning. She looked as if she didnt sleep, which she indeed did not.

She had tired eyes and messy hair that was in a bun. She sat at the high table with a cup of coffee next to Severus who watched her closely incase she falls into her porridge.

"Dumbledores been suspended."

That made Eleanor spit out her coffee and made a mess around the table. Swiftly an enchanted napkin came in to clean up the mess before placing itself next to her. "What?!"

Mcgonagall perced her thin lips in a line, "Its true, after Hagrid was arrested— well Mister Malfoy came and gave a parchment to Dumbledore with 12 signatures for his act of suspension... it's all for the investigation, but for now us teachers must act as though nothing is wrong."

With that Eleanor stayed quiet, scarfing down her coffee before sending Harry a look who sat at the gryffindor table with Ron and Ginny who looked nervous.

When Eleanor left the Great hall way earlier than breakfast would end she was suprised that Snape had followed her out.

He strutted his usual demanding pace to her before slowing down, "Do I have to keep asking?"

She looked up tiredly, "Severus, please." She complained, rolling her head back as he stopped her from walking much more.

She leaned against the pillar, Severus looked to her with his arms folded a foot away from her.

"I understand you're overwhelmed, but please, I want to help. You've been in a mood for awhile—"

Eleanor gawked at him and let out a false laugh, "Do you see the madness that's going on?!"

"Of course I do, but thats not my concern." He says back

"Oh?" She states in disbelief, "Muggleborn students are being attacked, Severus. What's more important than that?" She asked up at him with blank eyes.

"You." He says

Eleanor now feeling like an ase cranes her head forward with both hands rubbing on her temples.

He took this as an opportunity to pull her to the side incase students were to walk past their conversation. "Listen, why cant you get through that head of yours that I care about you? I don't want you to think you're alone."

Eleanor blinked down remembering the night before, "I know I'm not." She says, "I know you care about me—"

"You say you know but you obviously dont realize it. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when I try to break down my barriers to you!" He says now getting inpatient with her

"Why are you trying to make me sound like the bad guy?!"

"Why can't you just stop acting like the world is against you for a moment?!" His voice sprung in anger, "Poor you? Is that what you expect everyone to say? I'm sorry but I dont want an invite to your pity party ms Potter!"

After that statement Severus knew he was he had messed up a bit, Eleanor stood with a teary, angered look. Her brows in a frown, before he could think of something to say to apologize she pushed him out of her way and stormed out.

Severus felt his heart wince as he watched Eleanor walk away, but to him she needed to know the truth, even if it was hurtful. Though he still regretted it.

Turning around he noticed a figure standing not far from where they were talking.

Harry Potter.

AN: To Protect now has an Instagram account which will feature fanart, posts, updates and more !! Check it out and give it a follow !! I will be following back !!

(Janiekayne) on Instagram