36

Severus glared across the high table during the first annual feast of the year

Severus glared across the high table during the first annual feast of the year. There she was in a fit of laughter over whatever Remus Lupin was saying to her.

Snape was two seats separated from them, unfortunately Eleanor sat next to the man with tattered clothes, Severus couldn't believe it. She didn't even bat an eyelash to Severus when she saw him and continued on talking to Remus Lupin who had ase of friends when they were in school, sure James and Sirius were the ones who bullied severus the most, but Remus never stopped them, in fact the potions master recalls that Remus only laughing when he got teased.

The nerve this man had to come back and take her away from him. Not that she was his, but it definitely got under his skin.

After dinner Eleanor walked with Remus, as he walked her to her room. They walked side by side, talking about the old days and things that were missed. Like the stories of James, mostly of only James. Speaking of the simpler times before all the chaos had happened.

"You know Eleanor, I'm glad to see a familiar face again- you have no idea how much it means to me to know that you're alright." Remus spoke up about as they reached her door.

All she could do was smile up at him, to her Remus was the closest thing she had to James, and for him she was the closest thing he had period.

He himself had lived an isolated life since than, he kept himself hidden among reason Eleanor hadn't known about. Which brought his attention toward her neck where a pocket watch like necklace layed on her chest.

He narrowed his eyes at it for a moment.

"What's wrong?" She asked him

She watched as his face twitched a bit, but remained calm. He pointed at the necklace, "That's a pretty necklace, where did you get it?"

"Oh." She said touching it, "It belonged to James, it's very peculiar though, instead of the time it has the phases of the moon."

"Yes." Remus said, "That is peculiar."

His face was still as he kept staring down at it. Flashbacks and memories flooded his head like a storm.

"Moony!" Called a voice from the distance. Remus opened his eyes, he had been slumped over by the whomping willow gasping for air, out of pure stress his legs shook as the voices of his friends grew closer.

"No." He muttered alerting his friends, "No! Stay back!"

James didnt take no for an answer as he marched up the grass hill without a care in the world, "Come on Remus, you're a werewolf not a monster." James was the one now panting after climbing the hill, James quickly threw a pair of clothes Remus's way. "Get dressed before some girl sees you."

A confused Remus Lupin quickly got dressed just as Sirius and Peter climbed up the hill. Peter looked as if he was going to pass out, he dropped and rolled on his back struggling for air while Sirius stood next to James perfectly in shape. "Maybe you should lay off the pumpkin pasties."

"Maybe- you- should- lay off- the hurtful comments-" Peter gasped for air within a word coming from his mouth.

Ignoring him, Sirius turned to Remus who was just buckling his pants. "You good mate?"

"How did you guys know? That it was last night?" Remus had asked his third year friends who turned to eachother.

James got up grabbing a pocket watch from his pocket it dangled from his fingers, swinging back and forth, "We know you're not sleep walking, we've kinda got you on a schedule."

"And besides, Sleep walking is just a myth." Said Sirius who crossed his arms.

James immediately turned around to that, "Did you hit your head on a branch your way up? Of course sleep walking is real!"

"I don't believe it." Shrugged sirius.

"Are you hearing this?" Asked James to Peter who still layed on the grass and breathed out.

"I'm hearing it."

Sirius rolled his eyes.

"So you believe in werewolves and Ghosts but not a sleeping disorder?" James had questioned

Sirius shrugged his shoulders,
"Look, I'm a wizard not a doctor!"

"That's not the point!" Cried Peter

"Shut it plumbis!" Replied Sirius

James shook his head at Sirius and Peter going at it again. Remus smiled amused at his friends who bickered back and forth at eachother.

"Thank you." Remus said

"No problem, we've got your back mate." James came up to him, giving his shoulder a pat.

He was silent for too long which made Eleanor stare up at him just before he came out of a trance. "It looks very nice on you." He says, "Truly, but— I better get going, you'll need the sleep." Remus took a few steps back with his hands in his pockets.

"Alright, well Goodnight." she said turning to her chambers. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sweet dreams." He says watching her go into her room. Immediately his once humble smile to her turned into a nervous frown.

He fidgeted in one spot for a moment before he began to walk away in the other direction.

As Lupin kept walking he saw a figure in the corner of his eye walking his direction. "Severus Snape." Lupin spoke before turning on his heel to face him. "Pleasant surprise to see you here."

Much to his own dismay Severus made eye contact with the new Professor, but kept walking without a word.

"You know," Remus spoke up, "I believe I owe you an apology—"

"Don't want it." Was all that was said from Severus who walked in his chamber and slammed his door.

That night Eleanor struggled to sleep, looking up at the stars from her window, playing with the necklace from her neck she smiled.

"I hope you're right James, I hope everything is going to be as it should." She whispered to the distance before she shut the curtains.

The only thing that could be heard was the distance of a howling dog.

AN: Thank you endlessly for all the support and love this story is getting !! It means alot !! I love seeing your messages of encouragement and kindness !! Thanks so much!! 💙