114

Severus knew it shouldn't have been much of a suprise that Lucius Malfoy was standing amungst the Death Eaters instead of the cell bars of Azkaban Prison.

The more he thought about it the more it made sense to him. Over the many years of knowing Mister Malfoy, Severus became excessively aware of how smart that man is.

Malfoy was very keen on getting his way, whether his attempts of doing what he wanted resulted in his favour or not, there was always some sort of follow-up plan- Regardless if it ended with manipulation or blood shed, everything would eventually be in his favour.

Lucius was also the type of man who was hyperly aware of his surroundings-from small details in conversation to how the energy would shift in the room; nothing ever went unnoticed under his surveillance.

And in this case, it was Severus's gaze that caught Mister Malfoy's attention just before the professor had looked down to avoid it.

Severus was unsure as to why the well suited man was staring his direction so intensely, it made him nervous; which was an exact tactic Lucius used to his advantage when target those of his interest.

It made Severus wonder, what does he know?

It wasn't until Bellatrix had snapped Lucius from staring any more. He watched the witch circle him like a vulture, eyeing him. "The Dark Lord must've been desperate to let you out of that cage of yours Luci." She teasingly sang out before emphasizing, "Very desperate."

Almost immediately, Lucius let out a bitter chuckle at the idea of Voldemort being the one to break him free from Azkaban.

"Is that what you think happened? That'd I relied on the man who encouraged my imprisonment over a tattered prophecy?" His tone amused but his narrowed eyes were anything but that. Bellatrix had stopped in her tracks to peer up at him in disbelief, he continued to speak before she or anyone else was able, "You didn't actually think I wouldn't take matters into my own hands, hmm?"

Unknowing to anyone around him:

With Cornelius Fudge out of the job as the Minister of Magic during the mist of the year, it had just been so humbling to know that Rufus Scrimgeour had taken office soon after - and with Lucius's past strong connections (and threats) with the new Minster, he was able to take advantage of an under-the-table exchange of his releasing.

Two weeks ago.

Without a verbal response from Bellatrix, Lucius moved passed her with a glimpse of disappointment before he approached Draco.

A rough hand was placed behind the boys shoulder, making him jump, "You've grown since I've last saw you."

Swallowing thickly at his father's comment Draco could only manage a nod in response while he continued his anxious stare to the headmaster.

"Are you scared?" Lucius asked but knew the answer, "Don't be scared, eyes up, look at me."

Finally, the malfoy boy bore his eyes away from Dumbledore to look into his father's own familiar clear blue ones.

Lucius stared at him in silence for a moment until he spoke in a gentle tone, "I'm very proud of you for being able to stand where you are tonight. You're doing what most wouldn't consider thinking about - and this job wasn't meant to be your burden to begin with."

The hand that was on Draco's shoulder had moved to hold the hide of his face which was Lucius' own way of displaying his affection.

Draco couldn't remember the last time his father had told him that he was proud of him. Even if he had, he would've forgotten from the lack of actual devotion he had in pleasing him over the years. Most times when he saw his dad, Lucius seemed too busy or irritated by work for his son to be acknowledged.