Part 23

After a very long graveyard shift, Sangria basked in her downtime, especially if it meant catching up on sleep before her next shift.

She woke in bed with the sun high in the sky nearing the evening, she was starving and more than willing to get a couple drinks before work.

Looking to her bedside table she saw that her scroll had no notifications. It was a mild discouragement, but she gave Y/N the space he needed.

Exiting an apartment complex after having a good lunch, Sangria immediately walked to the side of the building where a fire escape led to the roof.

She now stood among a small group of guards who were on breaks or spent their off time on the rooftops anyway.

At the lip of the roof was a woman, she looked down to the bush streets with narrowed eyes, she immediately whistled to Sangria and flicked her head toward herself.

Standing by her side and sighing, Sangria spoke. "What is it?"

"I've been watching this guy - not in that way - and everything about him is just--off. The others - BUNCHA ASSHOLES! -"

The other guards gave a collection of laughs, eye rolls and fake gasps.

"think I'm just 'bein' paranoid'."

"Alright." Sangria settled in beside the guard. "Lay it on me."

"Here it is." The woman leaned in but kept her eyes on the crowd below. "He came in from the north, alone. At first I was like 'sure! Why not?!' but then! Then! He goes straight to the port!"

Sangria soon frowned with her own eyes narrowing.

"You see?!" The guard exclaimed. "That's what I'm saying! You come out of that hell you at least want some water! Maybe a bit of food! Nahh, not him."

It was strange behavior alright, but what really caught Sangria's attention was the fact they came from the north road. The same road with three rotting corpses blocking the way.

Her lips pursing together, Sangria sighed through her nose and spoke. "Okay, let's go check it out."

The two made a short walk to the port with Sangria's co-worker leading the way, they now stood at a security checkpoint.

"Evening, Sangria." An older man greeted, he set aside a clip board and crossed his arms. "Anything I can do for you?"

"Not me." Sangria said, she then flicked her head to the guard by her side. "Tell em'."

"Pale fellow, about yay heigh-" The woman raised her hand just a bit higher than herself. "-looks like he has tea with his breakfast."

"I have tea with my breakfast..." The security guard muttered.

"You know what I mean!" The guard corrected. "Anima! He looks like he's from Anima!"

"Alot of people coming from Anima these days-"

Sangria shook her head. "He didn't land here and he's not a local."

"Ahhh." The security guard raised a finger. "Strange fellow that one, asked if he could use the old board."

The man refered to a keyboard and the database attached to it. Flight logs in specific.

"Please tell me you chased him off." Sangria held her head with a quiet groan.

"Course I did." The security guard said, almost offended.

"Doesn't mean he got past you." The town guard said then pointed to the bright screen inside the checkpoint. "He crossed the desert to get to that."