Part 102

Almost two weeks had passed, and the new day was a long one ahead for Qrow; he had taken the next shift, but even as he stood at Y/N's bedside, a sleeping Harriet would refuse to leave.

Taking a seat with a relaxed groan, he let his head fall back, speaking as he stared at the thick canvas above him.

"Seems like just yesterday we were dodging detention, eh?"

Y/N was unresponsive, of course, but Qrow liked to think it's what would have woken him.

"Man... what happened to you?"

He stared at the remnants of a nasty bruise over Y/N's throat; now, a faded purple and the intense swelling over his jaw was settled but still red. He thought it was maybe a person that had attacked him; the fist-size bruises were a clear clue along with his broken knife and missing weapons.

It was a scary thought; who could beat who Qrow thought was the best? He didn't know and hoped he never had to.

Clicking open his scroll and turning it on its side, he booted up one of his favorite games to kill time.

He let out a short chuckle, whispering to his brother. "Should be glad you're asleep; a certain someone just got approved for an extended vacation."

"Who would that be?"

Harriet had awoken from the steady beeps of medical machines and the cartoonish sounds coming from Qrow's scroll; she now sat straight in her chair with a blanket curled close.

"Ahhh... Y/N's ex-"

"Ex??" The Specialist interrupted with wide eyes.

"-Wife."

A short silence fell over the three; one Qrow pursed his lips and nodded to with a clearing of his throat.

"That's-Glynda, isn't it?" Harriet asked.

"Yeah," Qrow paused his game, crossed his legs, and sighed. "She heard about what happened - who hasn't? Y'know? - so she finally got a flight over."

"Is that-bad?" Harriet asked, half concerned and half curious.

Qrow gave a one-sided shrug. "He ghosted her about five years back, since then she's-well, she's been looking for him."

Realizing Harriet wasn't satisfied by her answer, he continued. "She's a little mad... among some other things."

"Like what?"

"Nothing we should be worried about." Qrow replied with a laugh, a laugh that died down to a terrified expression. "Actually..."

"What...?"

"Uhhh..." The Huntsman rubbed the back of his neck, jittery and anxious. "Now that I think about it-she might try to kill me."

Frowning in confusion, Harriet's voice died in her throat as he stood and left, nearly barging into a nurse on the way out.

"Aren't you just a ladies' man." She murmured playfully to Y/N's sleeping form.

Cracking a half-smile, she grabbed the hems of his blanket to adjust them, evening the fabric and tucking it into his sides.

While tending to a bag of fluid hanging above him, she paused, going deep into thought.

It was a pessimistic response to think that what they built would be gone because of Glynda, she hardly knew the woman, but she knew what they did.

There was a time he considered them soulmates, a sweet and romantic status built from an isolated girl and a kind boy.