Part 167

"I've got one for you."

"Alright. Shoot."

The night was still long, and thanks to their earlier nap, neither Y/N nor Harriet felt tired.

With the soft audio of the TV deemed too boring, it created a white noise to a series of casual or curios questions between the two Specialists.

"Favorite music." Harriet said, resting her head on a clenched fist.

"Nothing, really." Y/N shook his head with a thoughtful expression. "Anything I like the sound of, I guess?"

"Including those tractor songs from Vacuo?" She asked with a teasing smirk.

"Uhhh," He chuckled. "No. No, not really."

"Okay..." Harriet gave a long pause before another question. "Favorite food."

"I think I'm a fan of pizza now."

"Really?" She said with a snort.

"Yep."

"Suuure."

Harriet tucked in her knees, presumably preparing for the next and most critical question.

"What about... cats or dogs?"

"Like..." Y/N's brows furrowed. "As a pet?"

"In general."

"Both, I guess." He shrugged. "Cats do their own thing and dogs are pretty much instant friends."

"What if you had to choose?"

"If I really had to."

"Mhm."

"A dog." There was little hesitation in his reply, almost as if he had thought about it before.

"Why's that?" Harriet asked, curious.

"They're really active, nice, defensive. If I had to go out into town they could come along, they could be pretty outgoing or shut in, too. I wouldn't have to really worry about it in some—emergency either. It depends if they're trained to fight or not, or maybe it could be a hunting dog."

"Seems like you want a dog." Harriet said with raised brows.

"No." Y/N shook his head with his eyes aimless wandering the TV screen. "They had a lot of dogs where I grew up, and they did all of the above. But no cats, cause when have you ever seen a cat trained to hunt a deer?"

"I'm sure they could be trained to."

"Maybe." He gave a one sided shrug. "There's also the matter of unlocking their aura."

"You can do that?!" Harriet exclaimed with a chuckle.

"Yeah." Y/N chuckled himself. "Cats? I'm not too sure. But dogs? I've seen it more times than I can remember."

"W-why would anyone do that?" The Specialist asked with great curiosity.

"Pretty much for the reasons I'd get a dog. You can't train them like humans, but they'll naturally grow into it, like how a baby learns to naturally walk. You'd be surprised how much of an aura they could have."

"What—like a chihuahua? Or a corgi?"

"Yeah, I've seen them wreak some havoc. But it's pretty scary when we're talking about a full grown dog, a big dog. Those were the kinds we had around A'liah."

"Wow." Harriet shook her head. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

It was how their sixth sense worked, feeling the presence of another aura, as well as navigating surrounding trees, or even sensing the smallest things, like a squirrel or bug. But someone would have to be blind or highly trained to do that.