Part 186

Draped in the morning sun, both Y/N and Harriet limbered up for another long run.

Over the month of improvement, the two had advanced to a staggering one-hundred-twenty miles at a strict one-hundred-twenty miles an hour to reach the apartment before the time was up.

"One hour." Harriet showed her scroll the alarm she set. "But!"

Of course.

"We're stepping it up a notch."

"I thought we already were." Y/N replied dryly.

The Specialist chuckled before she pulled a little mask from her pocket, a pair of them, because she would feel bad if he was the only one with a handicap.

"What's this?" Y/N frowned when he held the thick mask.

"Limits your breathing." Harriet said in a muffle while tightening it to the back of her head. "It helps strengthen the lungs."

"Alright." Y/N sighed heavily before securing the durable piece of equipment to his mouth.

At this point, Y/N honestly questioned if Oedon made him faster, stronger, perfect. Because now, he felt this was something he wouldn't have been able to do before.

"Got it on good?" Harriet asked, palming his mask and giving it a shake.

Y/N raised a thumb when she did the same for her own mask.

The corner of her eyes wrinkled, showing there was a smile underneath the piece of plastic and rubber.

________________________________

Another race meant another loss. When the mask felt more like a hinderance to Y/N than a walk in the park for Harriet, he realized she was in a league above the entire time.

"What've you got there?"

"Rice, eggs, spinach, and cheese."

The Specialist peaked at a large bowl of food Y/N had assembled. It was a meal meant for the sort of stress his body went through, and Harriet didn't blame him for it since he was moving onto other exercises later today.

It was inhuman what he put himself through, and if it weren't for his enhanced biology, she would be genuinely worried about how hard he pushed himself.

But here he was, ready to tackle the day with only a little bit of reluctance.

________________________________

Huddled around a small circle of rope, Y/N dipped his head, down, left, and right.

On the tip of his shoe, Harriet did the same, ducking down and around soft but swift punches from Y/N.

The goal wasn't to land a blow, it was to use your footing and reaction to keep moving, never stop shuffling and always keep up one's defenses.

It was a tremendous improvement from his 2D offensive and defensive approach. But still, Harriet was confident Y/N would hit like an actual truck.

Left-right jabs. Duck under a left hook, shuffle right and counter with a right hook. Y/N repeated this motion over and over again. Sometimes switching it up in the opposite direction or with increased speed the more time went on.

At the thirty minute mark, Harriet reversed her stance, now pointing her left shoulder his way as she threw three bullet like jabs.

One-two-three. Left, right, left. Duck under a right hook, a left, then straighten the back to feel an uppercut graze past his chin.

Y/N was in the zone, allowing himself to go with the flow. It was hard to notice when he controlled his breathing through the mask, but the two were in a close range dance that was a deadly blur.