Part 95

The slight clicks and clacks of silverware on ceramic were highlighted by a fiery golden hour; it was a perfectly comfortable environment with just a small range of chatter in the background.

The evening sun was just enough for Y/N to finish his dinner, but he could already see the older inn worker lighting candles and lanterns throughout the building.

He looked down at a sea of people, talking, drinking, eating, thankful to be on the top floor and away from it all.

A poor waitress had to fight her way through the chaos; she came out unscathed but huffing and puffing.

A quick exchange was made, Y/N slipped her lien for the bill and remained seated, not minding the occasional shout from a toast of drinks or laughter from reminiscing friends.

He cleared his throat and crossed his arms as he gazed out an open window to watch the last of the sun disappear.

"Am I-Am I losing my touch?"

Qrow sat at his side, quiet until now with concerns of his livelihood.

"Couldn't say." Y/N shrugged.

"She didn't even bat an eye."

Y/N snorted at his words; he gave a nod to an approaching waiter who set down two glasses before leaving with a smile shot Qrow's way.

Cocking an eyebrow as he sipped his piping hot tea, Y/N waited for Qrow's inevitable statement.

"I'll take it." He said with a shared laugh as he smelled his top-shelf.

"So what's with this?" Qrow asked, flicking small silver bars discarded on the table.

"Dishonorably discharged." Y/N replied nonchalantly, pursing his lips at his bitter drink.

"Say wha-?" His friend held the metal pieces between pinched fingers. "You're kidding."

"Nope, got the message this morning."

"Is there at least a severance bonus?" Qrow asked dryly; he heard Y/N release an amused huff.

"I'm not too worried about it."

"That reminds me," Qrow said, snapping his finger. "I quit Signal."

"For the old man, I'm guessing." Y/N mumbled, finishing his tea with a quiet sigh.

"I like to think I'd be more useful out there than behind a desk."

"I see what you mean." Y/N nodded.

"What about you?" He asked. "What's on your head now?"

"Harriet told me about a few councilors in Atlas," He reverted his eyes and muttered to a finish. "People who actually have a history as a Hunter anyway."

Qrow quietly exhaled in relief, happy that he was going to have everything dealt with.

"You'd think that'd be some kinda prerequisite." He added, sipping his ice-cold drink.

"It's fine for the sort of slackers we've seen." Y/N replied vaguely, knowing Qrow knew as well.

Not every Hunter in Remnant was the same; the fact that millions were walking the planet and only a pinch of that was on Menagerie proved his point.

Y/N narrowed his eyes; having been looking for the returning inn worker, he saw something different instead.

A small group of people began pushing their way through the crowd downstairs, being kind or uncaring with whispered excuses or barging shoulders.

The group's driving force quickly approached, seeing Y/N's face and working twice as hard to get through.

His sharp eyes caught the dusky rose hair framed over a suntanned complexion; it brought a skip to his beating heart.