Part 135

Y/N didn't look anyone in the eye, that combined with the two layers of clothes made it difficult to tell if he was a faunus or not. Not to mention his longer hair as well.

The stone path beneath him made his ride jolty yet somehow relaxing, it was genuinely great to finally get outside overall.

"You once said you commanded three thousand or so Hunters, how did that happen?"

Sienna asked a question with pure curiosity. It was actually sincere without a prod to bad memories.

Y/N hummed and replied, his voice low. "As in-how I joined? Or how it happened?"

"Mmm... both."

Y/N grunted as he began to rack his mind for the distant memory.

"Maria found me. At the time, she was an esteemed Hunter, the second most prestigious around, only to her mentor, and mine, Gehrman. She taught me everything she knew, and when she was gone so did Gehrman, except he taught me more than just weapon arts and the basic survival instincts."

"And what was that?" Sienna asked, fully immersed in his story.

He huffed with a growing smile. "He taught me the importance of a good book. I often read on my down time, to either help me forget everything or just pass the time. He had-quite the collection."

Ludwig walked beside them, an amused smile on his face. "How to pick up fair maidens."

Y/N shook his head with a chuckle. He personally never read it, but just finding it gave a good laugh.

"I stuck by their side for maybe three years, learning everything I could. It was around that time I was the only one fit to lead the local Hunters. It was hard when all you did was lead one suicide mission after the next, but, in the end we made it out. That's when my off time started. Moved to Vacuo, met my wife... the rest's history."

He couldn't see her, but he heard the disheartened hum from her side.

"It's all in the past..." He said, his eyes glued to the coming ocean. "And what about you? How did Captain Khan come around?"

Sienna scoffed, amused, even replying with an audible smile. "Why did anyone join? Especially a little girl that wanted change."

"To make a difference."

"That's the goal." She said. "I joined the moment I could, ignored my mom and dad's advice about being a fisher or lawyer and made my own way."

"Sienna the fisher... Sienna, the one that practiced law." Y/N huffed. "Just doesn't have the same ring to it."

"My parents would disagree." She chuckled. "But it worked out in the end. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into training. I may have gotten a little hotheaded here and there, but twelve years later and... here I am. There was even talks about me being High Leader at some point."

"Really?" Y/N asked, surprised.

"Yeah..." She sighed. "But I don't know about that anymore."

"Seems like that would be your life goal, what happened?"

How could Sienna reply? She had no idea, even just the thought of saying 'You happened.' would either be tremendously rude or down right embarrassing.

"I guess my eyes were opened to how people really are." She said, referring to the blatant xenophobia she experienced for being by his side. "There's little to no chance of change, and if there was, it isn't the kind I want."

"Sounds like this extends further than the position." He murmured.

"Maybe." She muttered. "Not everyone can be like you, unfortunately."