Part 187

Y/N found himself to be lost, frustrated.

Over the month of unbelievable hard work, he still hasn't managed to get anything more than a quivering reply from Sovereign.

There was something missing in this grand puzzle, a piece that snapped off and had yet to be found.

Y/N refused to believe that it was Oedon who granted him the power to wield Sovereign. He reached his prime and found meaning in life, all without his coward counterpart.

He had tried everything. Patience and brute strength, but he seemingly didn't have enough. He didn't have enough of something to be deemed unworthy.

By now, Y/N expected Boss to come out of his relaxed shell and greet him. Calming him with his unspoken words. But the pooch had been at the apartment for some time now. Y/N refused bringing him to Mantle of all places.

And so, he was alone. Sunken in the ambiance of the training arena, thinking with a constant frown on his face.

"Are you—okay?"

Ah, shit...

Y/N blinked in surprise, having been so lost in thought that he had forgotten about Winter.

The cadet stood before him with one hand on the strap of her backpack and her Rakuyo in the other.

"Yeah." Y/N cleared his throat. "I was just thinking..."

Winter was none the wiser to what went down in the world. And as a teenager, hopped up to sit beside him.

"Alright," Y/N laid his hand out with an urging shake. "Let's see what you got."

Lugging her bag upright, she unzipped the top, revealing a nicely organized row of books and papers until she handed him an envelope.

Taking the letter, Y/N took note of the name below the address and untouched seal.

Willow Schnee...

"Before I open this," Y/N flipped it over with his finger pinching the corner. "I have explicit permission?"

Winter didn't seem to care as she shrugged. But to her, it meant a lot considering the envelope was going to gather dust at home.

"You can bail me out if anything happens." He joked before tearing it open.

"What's it say?" Winter asked, impatient.

"Hold on." Y/N raised a hand as she was eager to lean over and look. "I just opened it."

Pulling out a few pages of texts and numbers, Y/N cleared his throat and got to reading.

"English." Y/N immediately frowned.

"What?" Winter waited with bated breath.

"Ahhh, a ninety-eight out of a hundred." Y/N waved his hand. "You won't be talking down any Grimm anytime soon so it doesn't matter."

The cadet huffed, annoyed.

"I'm joking!" Y/N gave her a small shoulder bump. "That's—actually really good. I wasn't here for the majority of it, but still, good job."

He showed her the score while hiding the rest of her quarterly grades, and he was right, he wasn't here for most of the year, but she still felt enlightened and proud when he praised her.

Getting back to the paper, he cleared his throat once more. "Look at that..."

"Lemme see." She attempted to reach over and snag the report card.

Holding it out of range, he continued. "Math. A solid ninety-four out of a hundred."

"Why do we need to know math to fight Grimm?" Winter grumbled.