Part 56

Dropping down the elevator shaft, Qrow grunted as he landed atop the empty metal box.

Standing straight, he grunted to himself as he saw the heavy metal cables melted rather than snapped like he previously presumed.

Jumping down an open hatch he saw Rhodes waiting with a thoughtful expression.

"They trapped themselves in." His old schoolmate stated. "Why would they do that?"

"The Grimm?" Qrow somewhat asked, pointing a finger to the ceiling.

"No..." Rhodes narrowed his eyes as he scanned his surroundings. "These outposts are made to withstand what's out there... they wanted to keep everyone down here."

Hearing a sharp whistle break the tense silence they turned back to see Clover down a long hallway, he simply beckoned to them in a casual manner.

"Got a feeling we're about to find out why..." Qrow muttered before walking alongside Rhodes.

The hall had many doors that led to the basic life necessities, the lower floor was clearly made to house the soldiers and certain personnel.

Walking the long hall they came upon the rest of the group, they stood outside a sealed door that supposedly led to a mess hall.

Harriet stood with an annoyed expression, she shouted at a camera in the corner wall, it was clearly operated as it panned to Qrow then Rhodes.

"Who're they?!" A man shouted in a frightened tone, his voice coming from an intercom that spread through the whole level.

"Huntsman!" Harriet exclaimed with her arms spread wide open. "It's almost like I already told you who we were!"

"F-forget it!" They shouted with a waver. "Sides' I wouldn't open the door if I wanted!"

"Alright." Clover sighed, he stood with his hands on his hips. "Calm down. Tell us what happened."

"My-my friend!" The soldier took a few deeps breaths directly into the mic, annoying Harriet further.

The mans voice dropped to a hushed whisper. "He's not right. I keep telling the others but they don't believe me! He hasn't said a word since the crash. Until yesterday I saw him-I asked him if he wanted a smoke n' just-he just shook his head!"

The situation began to unravel to the group of fighters, they knew he spoke of their unknown target, supposedly an individual who could blend in anywhere.

"I know him! Okay?!" The intercom suddenly went silent for a few seconds with the rattle of the mans chair coming through. "T-they said it was the stress, that-that I was just scared! NO! No! I know... I know... I know he'd want a smoke even if we were knee deep in shit!"

"Okay." Clover soothingly replied. "I need you to listen to me, behind this door is an unknown combatant. They can blend in with an unknown semblance-"

"I knew it." They interrupted in a hiss. "I fucking knew it!"

"That's right." Clover nodded. "They want your package. Now if you open the door you can show us directly to him."

"I got it..." The soldier replied. "Okay okay. Now, whatever you do, don't-"

A small rumble caught everyone's attention, it shook the entire level with small particles of dust falling from the ceiling.

"Sounds like Y/N is getting busy." Qrow commented, staring up to only imagine what was happening above.

"I'll need you to play along." The soldier demanded.

"What do you mean?" Rhodes asked curiously.

"I told everyone the Grimm got through." The soldier revealed with a certain determination. "It was the only way to convince them to all stay here."