Part 105

The air was cold and tangy with blood. The sounds of a never-ending ocean never brought salt, only the horrific stench of a beached corpse.

Y/N walked the beach of the Hunter's Nightmare, leaving his friend to rest and the Orphan of Kos slain.

His job was done; he had slaughtered every last Great One and Beast that was in his way and those that were loose ends in his conscience.

However, one last target remained; it was neither a Great One or Beast; it was a man named Brador.

For what reason? Valtr would have been at peace either way and Simon - a Hunter with grand ambitions that was hunted by Brador - knew his path was certain death.

Before he could even contemplate his choice, he marched off the beach and up to the looming lighthouse.

There he stuck himself with his remaining blood vials, triggering a rapid regeneration that completely healed any lingering wounds and reinvigorated his body.

Looking over the cursed sea, he turned on a pivot and descended onto the fishing hamlet, where a trail of bodies and monsters were left behind.

Arriving at the deserted settlement, he stood waiting beside a lone well, pulling his Rakuyo and Pistol free.

It was only a matter of minutes before he heard the ominous ring of a sinister bell; its singular chime suddenly turned into a whole chorus of arrivals.

One moment Y/N was alone; the next, he was surrounded. Church Assassins stood atop rooftops, waded through dirtied water, and swarmed huts.

Y/N was deaf to their aggressive words, ignored their demanding questions; all he could focus on was a man adorned in the hide of a Beast with tall antlers forking atop his head.

The Nightmare was over; their secret was unraveled, there was no reason to fight, everyone could go on their merry way without violence.

Yet, Y/N stood his ground, armed and itching for a fight. He didn't care much if they didn't want to or if they surrendered and ran; it would make what happens next all the more fun.

He was still and eerily silent; the only sound besides the patter of dripping water and ragged breaths was his long inhale as he smelled the air.

He incited deep anxiety, putting the Assassins on the edge of their seats.

Those that gazed upon him knew what his golden eyes entailed. He wasn't a man; he was a beast in human clothing.

One too many had enough; their warnings and questions were pointless; it was time to either fight or run.

An Assassin had had too much; he couldn't stand the wait, nor was he going to allow Y/N to attack.

He charged, jumping off a nearby rooftop and landing with a splash of water.

His sudden act of bravery spread, giving others the courage to join as well.

With dozens of Assassins swarming his position, Y/N felt a chill run down his back. He could practically feel it, the rush of blood echoes washing over his very being, fueling his body and enhancing it even further.

But just like any apex predator, he was smart, tactical. He was going to save his strength for the big game.

So with a step forward, he soaked his legs in the knee-deep water, joining his aggressors with a sudden surge of electricity covering him.