Part 46

Their trip was coming to an end, it's mondaine walk was anything but. They enjoyed one another's company to the point where silence between them was spent unalone, like one felt the others presence when deep in thought.

They began a short trek up a small mountain, and after closer inspection of dark brittle rocks crumbling under the soles of his shoes, Y/N was pleasantly surprised to see it was a very old and very much asleep volcano.

As they took a small path etched into the ground from constant use, Y/N heard a loud sort of bang.

Muscle memory caused him to tense up with his hand on his magnum, while his brain told him it wasn't a gun shot but it still was.

The sound was more similar to a harsh release of air than an echoing bang. It had no buzzing after effect meaning it wasn't directed towards them.

"Relax." Sangria said, turning her head back as she walked. "That's April."

Taking a deep breath and counting to three, Y/N mindlessly nodded and followed along.

The ground's texture and color began to change to a dusty, rock filled plain, only meaning what they previously stood on was cooled and aged lava.

Y/N bent down and pulled a loose chunk from the ground, he inspected it's sharp jagged edges with a curious gaze, even going as far as snapping it in half and seeing what was inside.

That's... actually kind of cool.

Inside was all the same, albeit a much more clean and dark purple surface. He ran his gloved thumb over it's innards before finally dropping one half and stuffing the other in a side pocket in his pack.

I think you'd like this one, Fria...

"You like that sort of stuff?" Sangria asked, sparking a small conversation.

"No." Y/N shook his head. "I mentioned my mother earlier, her names Fria. She just--likes little stuff like this."

"Yeah..." She hummed, piecing together his story and eventually finding a hole in it's surface. "You said Solus fake your deaths."

"Yeah."

"And you said you wondered Vacuo after leaving Monroe..." She turned to him with a brow lowered. "Where was she in all of that??"

"The Headmaster of Atlas Academy took her in... It's been so long, who knows what he was back then." Y/N shrugged. "I was just glad to finally see her."

"So that all jumbles into now?" Sangria said, pointing a finger to the ground. "Your gear, that sword and that whole Solitas business?"

"To put it simply," Y/N gave a slight series of nods. "yeah."

Sangria gave a long and deep sigh as she focused more on walking for a moment.

It explained alot about him, he obviously found something to look forward to and strive towards, yet that inkling of curiosity nipped at the back of the Ex-Ranger's mind, a question to his former self.

"What were you doing here before?" She asked softly. "You weren't exactly the way you are now."

Y/N fell silent as he mulled the question over, it was so long ago he nearly forgotten.

"I had nowhere else to go." Y/N muttered. "I came to see my only family... and join the Rangers." His eyes drifted for a moment. "I guess--I guess I just didn't want to be alone... after all the shit I went through to get here, all I know was how to fight... but dying is a nice wake up call."

"So that was real..." Sangria stated. "No smoke n' mirrors, you actually died."

"No. That was very much real."