Part 87

"In other news - and bear with me on this one folk - the weather. You wouldn't believe it, a shocking turn of events with new highs of one-O-nine, amazing, I would say! Man... I miss the snow..."

In the corner of his eyes, Y/N could see Neo tapping her fingers on the table they sat to, impatient and bored. She also showed a certain distaste for the lame pun just uttered on a nearby radio.

She released a quiet sigh and looked to him with mildly furrowed brows. 'Can't we just go in and get it over with?'

"What's your friend saying there?"

A woman fixed Y/N with a curious gaze as she worked to wipe down an empty glass; antlers loomed over them both, the long appendages nearly touched the ceiling that was already decorated with more than a few scratches.

Y/N hummed and replied. "She doesn't like his puns."

"Yeah." The faunus bartender sighed with a hand on her hip. "His puns are pretty shit, not even gonna lie."

Grunting in affirmation, Y/N signed a reply to his anxious partner. 'We need to see the Chieftain first.'

Neo sighed again. Resting her chin on a relaxed palm, she sipped a glass of ice-cold lemonade to help stave off the Menagerie heat.

"What brings Atlas all the way out here, anyway?" The bartender asked, working on another glass.

With a swirly straw at the corner of her lips, Neo gave him a look of expectance. What he said now was going to be their story, so he thought of something after a moment of silence.

___________________________

"Neapolitan, where is she?"

Y/N gave a slight shrug to Sapphire; the younger woman wasn't his responsibility; watching her also wasn't a part of his job.

Right on cue, she came strolling through the doors with her parasol rested over her shoulder.

Sapphire hummed as her narrowed eyes gave Neo a once over. Her outfit was modified for the eventual heat they were going to have to endure.

She removed a long coat she was fond of, leaving her in a sleeveless black shirt with the same beaded necklaces around her neck.

Y/N had thought the same, he didn't mind the overwhelming heat in Vacuo, but the humidity was another monster to battle.

His armor was gone; he traveled light with Sovereign and Momento Mori as backups or aids in battle.

Additionally, his pack was full of the essentials he would usually carry in his days as a Huntsman, either for camping or emergency needs.

His suit had minor changes; its sleeves were merely disconnected from his gloves as they were rolled to his elbows. The massive weight shift would make this mission that much easier.

"Seems you're both ready," Sapphire stated. "Good... I don't have much to say other than to keep this all quiet and tame. Atlas isn't welcome in Menagerie, so any acts of violence will worsen the public's view."

That was almost a dealbreaker for Y/N; he thought all the way down to his bones how mercenaries were unworthy of living amongst them, he wanted to kill them, so it was hard to agree.

Alas, their punishment was better than none. But it didn't mean he wasn't going unarmed.

"You'll start by speaking to Ghira Belladonna, the Chieftain, and his wife, Kali. I shouldn't have to mention how they're also the Supreme Leaders to the White Fang..."

She fixed Y/N with a gaze akin to a disapproving mother, she didn't know how well he held in his anger, so this was a test he couldn't fail.

"Those mercenaries are as much a problem to them as they are to us, but that doesn't mean you can leave bodies for them to clean up; if even one of them is faunus, we'll have another war on our hands. Am I clear?"