Part 179

In the limited time Sienna had known Glynda, she always thought of her as this unwavering pillar similar to her husband. But that couldn't be any further than the truth.

She could hear it from downstairs, how they embraced with a conversation so close it could be intimate.

"Why did it have to be you?" She asked with a shaky voice.

"I don't know..."

Glynda sniffled within his arms, that alone made made Y/N tighten the hug, as if he were scared she was going to fade away.

"I'll be back." He murmured into her golden hair. "We still have time."

"And what if you don't...? What if you..."

The school of Mensis, a horror constructed by a host at the very top of the twisted school. Essentially the source of everything Y/N had suffered through.

It was Mergo. An inhuman child. It began to fade away within Y/N's cradling arms once its wet nurse had been slaughtered.

Its helpless cries - so soft yet able to be heard through dreams themselves - began to fade in volume despite it being invisible to the naked eye.

Y/N felt nothing within his arms, yet when Mergo's cries silenced, he didn't feel the release he fought so tirelessly for.

In that moment, however poignant it was, Y/N felt a sliver of hope he had no idea he even had, begin to waver, threatening to nearly crush into dust.

When he hadn't awoken in Remnant, he felt robbed of his chance at love, redemption, and most importantly, to finally see Glynda again.

Furious, he lifted his head to the sky and let out an echoing cry of anger and sadness.

The Nightmare Host had been slain.

"I fought through hell to see you again." He whispered softly and with conviction. "I'll be damned if something like this will stop me."

Sienna lowered her head, unable to listen to the worry that racked Glynda any longer.

Feeling a small push on her knee, she looked down to Boss who gained her attention with little pokes of his nose.

When their eyes met, he came closer to push his head into the palm of her hand, warming it when he flared his sky blue aura.

"Sienna..."

Giving Boss a little appreciative scratch on the bridge of his nose, she then stood to face Y/N.

He had donned his sable suit and carried his weapons close, as well as Sovereign on his back, a sword he had yet to lift.

It was hard to remain strong, fearless, especially when he held her in a warm hug.

"Don't let it get to you." He softly uttered from above.

When he buried his nose in her hair, to inhale her scent, she finally became aware of her drooping ears.

"We'll get through this." He whispered, caressing her cheek to gaze deep into her eyes. "We'll move to Patch soon, we'll finally settle down, raise Umbra..."

She squeezed her eyes shut in attempt to remain strong, but his words, said with such promise and strength, they broke her.

"Whatever happens, I'll make sure we all get through it." He left a small kiss on her forehead after revealing it with a smooth wipe of the palm. "I promise."

She buried her face in his chest and held him tighter, while she physically showed her love, she battled something mentally.

She wanted him to drop everything, to simply leave his troubles at the door and lock themselves in. What he had planned was too much of a risk for him.