Part 85

Nearly five years, that's how long Glynda hadn't seen Y/N; she would say that he's actually looking younger than before, which was strange considering the last time she had seen him he looked like he came out of a war.

Nearly ten years, that's how long Y/N hadn't seen their home, its bright paint with dark accents all came back, filling his mind with treasured memories.

The time he hadn't seen her also applied to Glynda, she was stressed and high strung; he could only guess from work or their separation.

Unknown to him, it was both. She buried herself in her job to keep her mind off of it all, the separation and love that remained.

She had been worried sick since his disappearance, his state of mind was always on hers, picking at her that he was slumped over drunk in some bar.

That worry began to fade when she saw his face, he looked tired, and that was the extent of it. There wasn't a smidge of alcohol on his breath, nor in his body; he had been sober this entire time.

And now there they stood, halted before their home. Glynda saw it all over his face, the nostalgia and pain.

Gently tugging on his hand, she guided him inside, where he was hit with a warm atmosphere, the kind that relaxed his body and his mind demanded he go upstairs and fall asleep.

As the door closed behind him, he spoke with a somber expression. "It's... all the same."

This is what he fought for; everything contained within these walls is what pushed him through hell and back. He only wished he could have kept it all like his old self.

Glynda saw the pure sincerity in his eyes as they glossed over with tears; he was finally home after so long.

And now he stood frozen, staring, admiring a picture with so many others.

The one to catch the photo was sneaky, Qrow. He saw a moment that deserved a picture, to be remembered and treasured forever.

It was them, arm in arm and circling a dance floor while one wore a bright wedding dress and the other a full suit.

They were lost in one another's eyes, gazing deeply into the others on one of the happiest days of their lives.

Glynda swallowed a lump in her throat as a tear trailed down his cheek; she wanted to pull him close and into a tight hug while whispering in his ear that everything was going to be okay.

She couldn't; it wasn't an appropriate time or place; she had to remind herself that they weren't together anymore.

He suddenly pulled his hand free with a sniffle as he wiped his eyes. "Sorry." He said with a humorless chuckle. "I know it's dumb to be like this."

But it wasn't, everything he did wasn't dumb, and he shouldn't be ashamed of feeling this way.

Alas, Glynda bit her tongue and remained composed; she wanted to do this right and avoid breaking down in front of him.

"It's okay." She whispered.

Giving him a moment, he finally came to with a sigh. He joined her at a round table; it was wooden with a dark brown surface touched by the bright sun.

Y/N mindlessly ran his palm over its smooth top before she spoke with stifled emotions.

"I-wanted to apologize." Her hands crossed as they were set on the table. "You never changed; you were hurt; me not realizing that and trying to help you only made things worse... you were still the Y/N I met in Beacon, and I should never have left you because of it."

Her words were well placed yet genuine, practiced, and deep from within the heart.

What Y/N heard was her taking the blame, the guilt.